The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I didn't know (funny LGBT moments)

5 posters

Go down

I didn't know (funny LGBT moments) Empty I didn't know (funny LGBT moments)

Post  Lesley Niyori Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:44 am

Hey just wanted to compile funny stories of things we totally got wrong from lack of knowledge about something LGBT.

It was Pride Toronto 2016, my first ever Pride anything event. I was my first any event actually for anything LGBT.

It was before the parade commenced, and I was with PFLAG Lindsay members and we were killing time prior to the parade.

I encountered something that comically I had no background with at all.
Well, you see, I had my teddy bear with me. I'm all about bears too.
So I was given a flyer thingy for a Bears den place. I thought "Oh neat, that sounds like fun".
I had noooo idea bears were a subgroup of gay men Smile

I had a friend explain to me "Ah, Lesley, you don't want to go there, it isn't about bears the way you think it is." Smile But it took a while for this to seep into my brain, as I was so overwhelmed by Toronto (I'm a small town girl eh). It was late in the day before my busy mind was able to realize, 'oops' and I quietly threw away the flyer Smile

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

I didn't know (funny LGBT moments) Empty Re: I didn't know (funny LGBT moments)

Post  Tara Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:06 am

Laughing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~*~ Tara

"Believe nothing you hear, and only one half that you see." — Edgar A. Poe
Tara
Tara

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:09 am

I have a trans girlfriend who has a son who is a furry. I didn't know what/who they are until he showed up on Hallowe'en night with a fuzzy tail sticking out from the butt of his jeans.

Not for me Exclamation

"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesley Niyori Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:49 am

I have some more or less recent friends who are furries.

Yeah, it's not easy to find people who are less understood/accepted than transgender people.

They ARE odd. They're ok, no weirder than guys in Stormtrooper armour or Star Trek uniforms. No weirder than 300 pound girls in Sailor Moon outfits. But it DOES seem that even the Stormtroopers and Trekkies and anime nuts think furries are weird.

When a person in Stormtrooper armour or a person done up in Trek uniform speaking some alien language, or a half naked girl in some outrageous outfit won't associate with you because they think you're 'sick', that's the definition of isolation eh.

Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  Tara Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:07 pm

I knew a furry a few years ago. He was rather odd in other ways, too, but nice enough.

Who am I to talk, though? I had lunch a couple of weeks ago with the guy who wrote the Klingon Dictionary, along with several other Science Fiction and Fantasy geeks. He was fascinating to talk to.

Even funnier (in the people are weird sense), I've been involved in Second Life for over a decade. It was a nice way early on for me to practice being the female me. But even there, where people can have pretty much any avatar they want, the furries are looked at as being strange, and often barred from clubs and other locations.

~*~ Tara

Tara
Tara

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:59 pm

Well, I've heard of bears, hirsute muscular men that like wolves are top lovers and twinkies and nuggets that are bottom. The terms are a little obsolete as being a tad derogatory, but I'm sure some, as Lesley has shown, still use the terms in some parts. They have certainly been around for quite some time.

But I am so lost here, I'm guessing a furry dresses in fur?

Celia Eriksson
Admin

https://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tara Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:10 pm

Celia Eriksson wrote:But I am so lost here, I'm guessing a furry dresses in fur?

Yes, pretty much. But not just random fur, it's usually an anthropomorphized animal costume. Think wolf or fox. Think uncomfortably warm on a summer day! It's not necessarily an entire, body covering costume. It may be a tail, or ears, for example.

And it goes beyond dressing, to include taking on attributes of the animal in question.

~*~ Tara

Tara
Tara

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:32 pm

I have never appreciated drag and I don't understand furry - but I also believe that my narrow views are my views and while I can say 'NOT FOR ME', I should always respect those who may want to wander a different path than me.
I didn't know (funny LGBT moments) 10i5snd
I prefer the honest look of who I am. I am not trying to be caricature of a woman, nor am I trying to hide behind a giant rabbit costume.

"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesley Niyori Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:34 pm

It's not like it's bestiality, but furries tend to have a thing for animals.

Not that I can talk, I'm married to a teddy bear Smile
But the furry fandom thing isn't my thing.

I'd rather hang out with furries, than with the vampire/werewolf goth scene.

Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesley Niyori Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:37 pm

"I prefer the honest look of who I am. I am not trying to be caricature of a woman, nor am I trying to hide behind a giant rabbit costume."

Yep. That's so me too. I try my best to look like an ordinary female. I AM an ordinary female actually. If I'm going to go the effort to look like something whimsical, it'll be Sailor Moon or Hatsune Miku.

Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  Tara Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:09 pm

Lesley Niyori wrote:I'd rather hang out with furries, than with the vampire/werewolf goth scene.

For sure!

~*~ Tara

Tara
Tara

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:40 pm

I guess if I ever have a Furry waiting upon me in some far away place at a romantical restaurant and I leave them a gratuitity. I'll be able to say, 'Its a long way to tip a furry!"

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tara Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:04 pm

Celia Eriksson wrote:I guess if I ever have a Furry waiting upon me in some far away place at a romantical restaurant and I leave them a gratuitity. I'll be able to say, 'Its a long way to tip a furry!"

SMH

~*~ Tara

Tara
Tara

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:26 pm

Oh, I don't know you youngsters and your text chat. I guess SMH means Smart Marvellous Humour?

It's my pleasure Tara,..... curtseys to all and sundry and takes applause!!!!!

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:02 am

Celia Eriksson wrote:I'll be able to say, 'Its a long way to tip a furry!"
No, no, no, no, no - you will never, ever be able to say 'It's a long way to tip a furry'.

Never!

Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Tara Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:30 pm

SMH = shake[ing] my head. Or maybe the Sydney Morning Herald, whichever.

And now my 50-something self is giggling at being called a youngster.

~*~ Tara

Tara
Tara

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:18 pm

It, my dear, is called the Old Gals Theory of Relativity.

When you are 50 and talking to a 71 year old (me) - you are a youngster.

Remember - the Old Gals Theory of Relativity.

Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Tara Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:50 pm

Well, I'm closer to the high end of the 50s, but yeah.

Mum had eight siblings, and Dad had four, almost all of whom were very fertile. So I have lots of old gals who are relatives.

~*~ Tara

Tara
Tara

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:18 am

Hi Tara!

Oh, then we are similar age Tara, I am 57. Well you know text chat stuff that totally marmalises my old reading head, I don't get those initial thingys TBH and never use them at all. 

Ya can, (if ya want to shake with laughter again), turn to the absolutely true and totally honestly real tales I tell, on the most fantastical, magical, romantical and superbical of threads, Celia's Fun Thread pages, Miki is a big fan!

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:20 am

Celia has one of the most fertile minds I have read in a long time - Edgar Allan Poe and Ken Kesey notwithstanding.

Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucy Catherine Schoon Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:32 pm

I keep calling my area manager at work, "the king of the bears..."

nobody knows what I'm on about.....

Love is natural,  hate is taught.... Like a Star @ heaven
Lucy Catherine Schoon
Lucy Catherine Schoon

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:57 am

Lucy Catherine Schoon wrote:I keep calling my area manager at work, "the king of the bears..."

Let's hope your boss appreciates your 'joke' OR never gets it. Everyone needs a job!

Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucy Catherine Schoon Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:59 pm

MichaelaSJ wrote:
Lucy Catherine Schoon wrote:I keep calling my area manager at work, "the king of the bears..."

Let's hope your boss appreciates your 'joke' OR never gets it. Everyone needs a job!

He is quite a large gay man.... and it's never to his face.

Love is natural,  hate is taught.... Like a Star @ heaven
Lucy Catherine Schoon
Lucy Catherine Schoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesley Niyori Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:39 pm

Mentioning it here, because I saw it on this thread first Smile

Nice avatar image Celia, nice bum Smile I wish I was your dress size.

Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:04 pm

Oh my thanks Lesley and just when I decided to change it.... again! I am quite vain. Here was the one before that, that I think Lesley means.... and though it might have been the one before that in fact, or perhaps one of the five that I, or it may have been...... Embarassed
I didn't know (funny LGBT moments) Me13072018me

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down