Roseanne Barr

Go down

Roseanne Barr

Post  MichaelaSJ on Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:49 am

If anyone out there still thinks there is anything, anything redeeming about Roseanne Barr, listen to this youtu.be video. ALL CAUTIONS APPLY:

https://youtu.be/JNrteSAu5ys?t=7

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451

MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Re: Roseanne Barr

Post  Angelic on Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:17 am

Being a british spirit of high standards I had often thought her show was bollywock and never paid it much attention. But at the same time I believe both the brits and American's get too easily in a hissyfit over a stupid racist joke.

I don't shame OJ Simpson, nor do I judge, and I believe in lighter punishments for murderers. But at the same token, here is a man who murdered his wife and gets fame and fortune for it, meanwhile some fat and morbidly obese old woman makes a stupid racist joke and she becomes the witch of the town. American values have always been traditionally hysterical and nonsensical and 2018 is no exception. That's my casual british opinion at least, although to be honest my own country (the britains) is no exception.

As for your video, I am assuming it is her in some kind of transphobic rant, and as such I don't wish to plague my mind with such haggus, and so I didn't bother to click. Such is the nature of caution.
Angelic

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:02 am

Angelic wrote:But at the same token, here is a man who murdered his wife and gets fame and fortune for it...
By all accounts, he was found innocent, not because he was innocent, but - BECAUSE THE JURY WAS FUCKED IN THE HEAD and the prosecution was totally mishandled.

As for fame and fortune, he rightfully lost nearly everything. Only for the quirky bankruptcy laws of Florida was he able to keep a house and his National Football League and other pensions.

In a civil lawsuit the jury unanimously found Simpson guilty of wrongful death and battery against Ronald Goldman and battery against Nicole Brown Simpson. He was ordered to pay 33,500,000.00 in damages.  He was later arrested for several felonies in Las Vegas and was just recently (2017) paroled after serving 9 years of a 33 year sentence.

Fame and fortune - nope, nada, nothing remaining.
I am opposed to the death penalty, not because I believe it inhumane. I believe the imposition of a sentence of death in the U.S. is so delayed (up to 30 years in some cases) that the penalty being meaningful has lost - well, all meaning.

Yet, if were to immediately execute a convicted murderer leaves open the possibility of killing an innocent person AND THIS HAS HAPPENED.

No death penalty.

And then we have Timothy McVeigh who murdered 168 people in an act of domestic terrorism when he bombed the Federal Building in Oklahoma City, OK in 1995. He was tried and convicted in 1997 and after expedited and fruitless appeals was executed in a federal prison in 2001. Justice - swift and fair.

No reasonable person denies the validity of McVeigh's guilt, conviction or execution.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451

MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelic on Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:38 pm

Angelic wrote:When I was watching TV, they had an OJ thing, and they presented him as a celebrity, and hyped his new book, and it was like a positive thing. Fine by me, like I said I don't wish ill on OJ, but if they can do that for OJ, but then go on a witchhunt against Roseanne, leaves some questions.

Only for those that cannot discern the difference between a TV program promoting a book and a TV program offering a genuine discussion of an issue.

Angelic

Back to top Go down

Post  mariehart1 on Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:46 pm

Roseanne Barr is not someone you would be friends with unless you are a bigot. You could be polite to her because most of us are polite even to bigots. Because most of us are not bigots like Roseanne Barr. That's how bigots like her are allowed to us to exist in the real world. She our fault for tolerating bigots like her.

You have to remember that she doesn't think she's a bigot because we nice people fail to tell her.

We need to be less tolereant.

mariehart1

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:35 am

mariehart1 wrote:We need to be less tolerant.
I agree, but we need to be specific in our toleration.

Remember, one persons bigotry is another's free speech.

Fahrenheit 451

MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Jehanne on Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:48 pm

MichaelaSJ wrote:
mariehart1 wrote:We need to be less tolerant.
I agree, but we need to be specific in our toleration.

Remember, one persons bigotry is another's free speech.

That's a great quote!  However, when does "free speech" turn into "hate speech"? Of course, the 1st Amendment will not protect one from getting fired from one's job.

Jehanne

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:40 am

Jehanne wrote:...when does "free speech" turn into "hate speech"?  Of course, the 1st Amendment will not protect one from getting fired from one's job.
I believe for hate speech to be prosecuted it must involve an element of 'hate' with an overt act.

Simply calling someone a hateful name does not constitute hate speech, but at the same time hitting the person does cause a hateful act.

You can yell fire in a crowded theater and if no one reacts there is no crime. You can yell 'Hateful speech' into a crowd and if no one reacts there is no crime.

But, if the theater erupts into a crazy rush to the doors or a crowd jumps the idiot yelling the slur - there may have been a crime.

Fahrenheit 451

MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesley Niyori on Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:31 am

Free Speech is an American concept that doesn't allow for Hate Speech only in America.

Here in Canada, acknowledged hate comments CAN get you arrested. But this is Canada and not America, and we don't permit hate speech.

Yelling "Fire!" in a theatre in Canada CAN get you arrested even if nothing results from it. It was still an attempt to cause harm.

In Canada, 'mere words' can get you in deep shit.

In Canada, a known slur, coupled with a physical act, CAN get you arrested, labelled a sex offender, and if convicted, you can say goodbye to most of your life's chances to ever amounting to anything.

We are known as the nation that's always saying "sorry", but we are not known as the nation that permits self-evident hate.

Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  Jehanne on Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:51 pm

It is interesting the differences between the US and Canada.  As a native born American, sometimes, I wish that I lived in Canada!  For one, I think that the US President has too much power and that a PM is a better form of government.

Jehanne

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelic on Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:02 pm

mariehart1 wrote:Roseanne Barr is not someone you would be friends with unless you are a bigot. You could be polite to her because most of us are polite even to bigots. Because most of us are not bigots like Roseanne Barr. That's how bigots like her are allowed to us to exist in the real world. She our fault for tolerating bigots like her.

You have to remember that she doesn't think she's a bigot because we nice people fail to tell her.

We need to be less tolereant.

I'd rather be friends with a bigot than an oversensitive, fascist liberal who can't take a joke.

I can make kfc jokes with my black friends and we all have a good time. And my black friends want to make racist jokes in online games and we have a good time. And we watch Boondocks and have a good laugh. And yet I say it to a liberal and I get guilted and they suck the fun out of the party.

It seems like the captain of the ship has been hijacked and the world has been taken over by no-fun nuns. I could never for the life of me figure out why Feminists want to embrace Muslims so much when Muslim nations are the most anti-feminist woman-hating nations ever made.

The type of bigot I dont want to be with is an oversensitive bigot. If a bigot wont let me be a girl around them it bothers me. I hate bigots for the same reason I hate liberals : People who are oversensitive, judgey and controlling.

In Canada, 'mere words' can get you in deep shit.

In Canada, a known slur, coupled with a physical act, CAN get you arrested, labelled a sex offender, and if convicted, you can say goodbye to most of your life's chances to ever amounting to anything.

We are known as the nation that's always saying "sorry", but we are not known as the nation that permits self-evident hate.
I am glad I am not Canadian but America is fascist too. I will explain how America is fascist in another thread. But since I am not Canadian then I feel free to state my hate of Canadians.

Whatever happened to good old fashioned values of forgive and forget. Jesus values. Life seems cheap to Canadians, like they are just pawns in a game. Like Canada just thinks human beings are disposable objects. If you break one rule they court martial you like some soldier. Life is not a military, we should be living free open lives not some Canadian concentration camp society. Someone should get second chances to reform and make a better life for themselves, that is the American way (or what used to be until the plague of fascism in this country.)

If I call someone a name and break their nose, why should I get labelled a sex-offender? What utter fascism. The only people who should be labelled sex-offenders are pedophiles and rapists.
Angelic

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:49 pm

Angelic wrote:I'd rather be friends with a bigot than an oversensitive, fascist liberal who can't take a joke.
Really!

Yawns.

Wonders when Angelic will start to group adjectives by relevance.

Fahrenheit 451

MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaibeth on Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:26 pm

That's two.....

That's not flying! That's falling with style!
There is an art to flying, or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Trans support chat - link to room below rules.
Kaibeth

Back to top Go down

Post  Jehanne on Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:47 am

MichaelaSJ wrote:
Angelic wrote:I'd rather be friends with a bigot than an oversensitive, fascist liberal who can't take a joke.
Really!

Yawns.

Wonders when Angelic will start to group adjectives by relevance.

It's kind of weird, because social and religious conservatives here once starting complaining about the conservative SCOTUS Chief Judge William Rehnquist that he had gotten so conservative that he was starting to "emerge" at the Left End of the political spectrum.  If you go far enough "right" you start to emerge "left", or, vice-a-versa.

Jehanne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down