The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Things never change

Go down

Things never change Empty Things never change

Post  MichaelaSJ Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:17 am

I have begun watching a very captivating English production of Wolf Hall. It is the story of Thomas Cromwell (not Oliver Cromwell). I went to look up Thomas Cromwell and got this from his Wiki page:
Cromwell was one of the strongest and most powerful advocates of the English Reformation. He helped to engineer an annulment of the king's marriage to Queen Catherine so that Henry could lawfully marry Anne Boleyn. Henry failed to obtain the Pope's approval for the annulment in 1534, so Parliament endorsed the king's claim to be Supreme Head of the Church of England, giving him the authority to annul his own marriage. Cromwell subsequently charted an evangelical and reformist course for the Church of England from the unique posts of vicegerent in spirituals and vicar-general.
While I am only into the first episode, it is a delightfully piece and I am struck by the repeat of the history from the c. 1529 CE.

I wonder when our current Henry VIII will declare himself head of a magical new government/church - to be named MAGA, garnering all of its new found greatness.

Who is our latter day Cromwell who will eventually lose his figurative head when he displeases this new emperor/archibishop for telling him he cannot do something.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Things never change Empty Re: Things never change

Post  Guest Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:15 pm

Is it Mike Pence? The heir apparent waiting in the wings. Fits the pattern. Given the evident chaos in the palace perhaps he feels his moment will come sooner than later.

Wolf Hall is indeed a brilliant series. Here in Ireland the name Cromwell has an extremely negative connotation. Both men's actions were devastating for Ireland and are associated with repression and violence. But the programme was fascinating.

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:20 pm

Mike Pence and his 'mother' will fail as a national figure. PERIOD. Read https://tinyurl.com/mikiepence

If there is a god, how could it have allowed Oliver Cromwell to have ever lived. What an animal, an uncontrolled animal. The horrors he inflicted on his opposition are simply beneath humanity.

I have 'Wolf Hall' set to record for the series and I am looking forward to the next Sunday night episodes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down