Brett Kavanaugh may be in trouble.

Go down

Brett Kavanaugh may be in trouble.

Post  Jehanne on Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:58 pm

Jehanne

Back to top Go down

Re: Brett Kavanaugh may be in trouble.

Post  MichaelaSJ on Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:54 pm

Not likely as the GOPers will claim 'this was simply a high school prank'. It also occurred in the 1980s, 35-40 years ago. It will be blown off as simply (as Trump is touting) 'the Democrats trying to kill his nomination'.
Republicans dismissed the revelation about the letter on Thursday. And on Friday, Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) retweeted someone who was mocking it as a game of telephone. [yeah, I had to look it up, too]
I think Senators Collins (R-Maine) and Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) will not vote to confirm UNLESS THEIR VOTES WILL HALT THE CONFIRMATION then one or both will go with the GOP and confirm Kavanaugh.

There are likely three Democratic Senators, Joe Donnelly (Ind.), Heidi Heitkamp (N.D.), and Joe Manchin (W. Va.) who will vote to confirm and that will mean there needs to be five GOP senators to turn on their caucus and I don't see that happening.

SIGHExclamation highlighted with extreme exasperation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451

MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Jehanne on Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:06 pm

I hope that you're wrong, but I fear that you may be right.

In any case, federal law enforcement is looking into it. If his "victim" passes her lie detector test, and she has some witnesses come forward, Kavanaugh may blink. A felony is still a felony, and no felon belongs on the SCOTUS. As for the POTUS, that's another issue entirely!!

Jehanne

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:38 am

“I categorically and unequivocally deny this allegation,” Kavanaugh said in a statement to The New Yorker. “I did not do this back in high school or at any time.”
He will skate on this, this time.

He would have to rape his daughter on national TV to get even one more GOP senator to pull his/her vote.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451

MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Jehanne on Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:19 pm

If true, though, it was more than a high-school prank:

The story told by the accuser, who remains anonymous, is that while they were in high school together, she was trapped in a room by Kavanaugh and a friend during a party. She says that Kavanaugh forced himself upon her, tried to remove her clothes, covered her mouth with his hand so she could not scream, and played loud music so her cries would not be heard. Eventually, she says, she was able to escape through a bathroom, though she says she was compelled to seek treatment for injuries, and later to get psychological counseling. The woman currently does not intend to go public, but she has engaged counsel.

Kavanaugh Letter Leaks

Jehanne

Back to top Go down

Post  Jehanne on Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:51 pm

Jehanne

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:41 pm

News flash at 10:40AM PST from the White House - Kavanaugh will not pull his nomination.

Well, we do have the rest of the week for a couple more GOP Senators to fall off the bandwagon.

Fahrenheit 451

MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Jehanne on Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:55 pm

Just don't give me hope, only to have it taken away!

Jehanne

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:08 am

Jehanne wrote:Just don't give me hope, only to have it taken away!
The Senate announced that they will have a hearing for both Christine Blasey Ford and Kavanaugh this coming Monday. Biggest complaint now is the quickness of the hearing with its attendant reduction in preparation time.
Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh and Christine Blasey Ford, the woman who has accused him of attempted sexual assault, will have the opportunity to publicly testify next week before the Senate Judiciary Committee, panel members announced Monday. The news effectively postpones Thursday’s planned vote on the nomination.
Sen. John Kennedy (R-La.) told reporters Monday that both parties should expect an invitation to speak to the committee in a public forum next Monday. Ranking member Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) confirmed the news.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/brett-kavanaugh-christine-ford-hearing_us_5ba02109e4b04d32ebfb9e7d
I don't know if you are old enough to appreciate the shit it took to get an all-male Judiciary Committee to hear the 1991 complaint of Anita Hill regarding now Justice Clarence Thomas.

Fahrenheit 451

MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

deja vu all over again...

Post  MichaelaSJ on Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:32 am

A GOP member of the Judicary Committee, Orrin Hatch just came out and stated Christine Blasey Ford 'must be confused'.

This is the same shit that Anita Hill had to put up with. Back in 1991 there were NO women on the committee - now there are 4 female member, all Democrats but still 4 women.

Please read the wiki @ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Thomas_Supreme_Court_nomination and then follow the hearings from now until Kavanaugh is either confirmed or not. Sadly, I think the all-male GOP members of the committee will repeat history and blow off any provable sexual mis-deeds as a 'prank'.

Remember what happened to Senator Al Franken for dumb inappropriate behavior. But if we trust the verity of  Ford's experience, then what Kavanaugh did should require that he step down both from this SCOTUS nomination AND his current Appellate Court seat.

Remember, appointed and confirmed members of the Judicial Branch of the U.S. government serve, NOT FOR LIFE, but ' shall hold their Offices during good Behavior'. I think sexual assault of a woman, regardless of the age of the perpetrator can not be held out as good behavior.

Fahrenheit 451

MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  mariehart1 on Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:25 pm

This is a big story on this side of the Atlantic. I'm watching it now on Sky News. Dr Ford is very plausible. Actually she's telling the truth. Kavanaugh is a lying turd. He's been defended by the sort of people who would defend genocide.
Right now Mr Booker is laceratinng the bastard.
Kavanaugh is a cynical shit.

mariehart1

Back to top Go down

Post  mariehart1 on Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:34 pm

Now Cruz proving his bigotry against women. They have no shame.
Utterly disgusting.

mariehart1

Back to top Go down

Post  mariehart1 on Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:44 pm

Kennedy wants him to tell the truth. But he's liar.

mariehart1

Back to top Go down

Post  mariehart1 on Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:04 am

Kavanugh is a liar. He's Catholic, like me. He went to a Catholic school at a time when being Catholic was to be repressed. Kavanough is an Irish name btw.
But back in 82 I was only Catholic in name. This being Ireland like privileged middle class America we pretended to be celebate and holy. We were not, we had sex if we could and in privileged middle class schools, young men took advantage.
I wasn't in a middle class school and remained a virgin but would never do what Kavanaugh did. But those schools did exist and do, my son's attend one Jesuit school.
He did that to the girl. There is no doubt.
He regrets his actions now but only because he's caught not because of what he did.

mariehart1

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:52 am

Well, I watched this interesting piece of democracy taking place upon television also, on the BBC live. I do hope that he does not take the nomination, the last US election offered voters 'Hobson's Choice', I had hoped that both parties would deliver good candidates for the US electorate for the next one and Mr. K's would not be a good start to the Republican process of selecting their person.

Take chances, make mistakes. That’s how you grow.
Mary Tyler Moore (1936-2017).
Celia Eriksson
Admin

http://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:43 am

Celia Eriksson wrote:Well, I watched this interesting piece of democracy taking place upon television ...
That was GOP muscle politics at its worst.

During Obama's last year in office a vacancy on the SCOTUS became available to the death of Scalia. Obama put an extremely well qualified candidate in Merrick Garland. The GOP had a majority vote in the Senate and the leader McConnell held up the process because why should a sitting president get a chance to balance out the SCOTUS with a moderate voice.

Trump gets elected and immediately puts up Gorsuch who while a very conservative judge did not have any of the baggage Kavanuagh has come to the committee with.

The SCOTUS now has a 5-4 conservative majority and if the Senate remains in the GOP majority after the 2018 mid-term elections, there is a possibility that Trump may have two more shots at packing the SCOTUS with a very, right wing conservative voice.

• Ruth Bader Ginsburg, a liberal is 85 and while in good health but frail
  • Stephen G. Breyer, a liberal is 80 and in apparent good health
  • Clarence Thomas, a conservative is 70 and is not going anywhere soon

Middle/Progressive America may lose any voice it has for the next 30 to 40 years.

PLEASE VOTE - as often as possible

Fahrenheit 451

MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucy Catherine Schoon on Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:23 pm

I can't been the only one thinking that, as bad as this prick is, trumps probably done worse....

Love is natural,  hate is taught.... Like a Star @ heaven
Lucy Catherine Schoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:32 pm

MichaelaSJ wrote:
Celia Eriksson wrote:Well, I watched this interesting piece of democracy taking place upon television ...
That was GOP muscle politics at its worst.

During Obama's last year in office a vacancy on the SCOTUS became available to the death of Scalia. Obama put an extremely well qualified candidate in Merrick Garland. The GOP had a majority vote in the Senate and the leader McConnell held up the process because why should a sitting president get a chance to balance out the SCOTUS with a moderate voice.

Trump gets elected and immediately puts up Gorsuch who while a very conservative judge did not have any of the baggage Kavanuagh has come to the committee with.

The SCOTUS now has a 5-4 conservative majority and if the Senate remains in the GOP majority after the 2018 mid-term elections, there is a possibility that Trump may have two more shots at packing the SCOTUS with a very, right wing conservative voice.

• Ruth Bader Ginsburg, a liberal is 85 and while in good health but frail
  • Stephen G. Breyer, a liberal is 80 and in apparent good health
  • Clarence Thomas, a conservative is 70 and is not going anywhere soon

Middle/Progressive America may lose any voice it has for the next 30 to 40 years.

PLEASE VOTE - as often as possible

Oh, well I am intrigued anyway even if it is a little confusing. I watch for about fifteen minutes..... live hearing and the hearing all over the news tonight in England..... (and thanks Miki, you kindly did not make fun of me for my obvious mistake!, thinking it was that he was going for being a Presidential nominee. I am a bit silly remember). But I think I understand now, you vote for your Supreme Court judges and they sit for decades and there are nine? It gets interesting. Celia xx

Take chances, make mistakes. That’s how you grow.
Mary Tyler Moore (1936-2017).
Celia Eriksson
Admin

http://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelic on Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:19 pm

judges need to be booted from office every 4 years
Angelic

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content