Go home Benny!

Go down

Go home Benny!

Post  Celia Eriksson on Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:50 am

Sweet Benny the Beluga is hundreds of miles from his home, swimming up the busy Thames River! Hopefully he will realise and make his way out coz there's lots of boats and stuff that could hurt him..... Go Home Benny!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/thames-whale-benny-beluga-latest-london-where-location-a8556721.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take chances, make mistakes. That’s how you grow.
Mary Tyler Moore (1936-2017).
Celia Eriksson
Admin

http://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Go home Benny!

Post  MichaelaSJ on Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:13 am

It is strange that a Beluga would be so far south as the Thames as these whales are typically found north of the Artic Circle.

These damn dolphins, porpoises, and whales and their distant cousins the seals and sea lions are such a pain in the ass for commerce and sport fishing. Rolling Eyes

I live within a 20 minute drive north to the San Francisco Bay/San Joaquin Delta complex or south to the Monterey Bay. In the 1980s I was on a sport charter boat fishing with a bunch of my employees when we spotted a Humpback Whale AND a Grey Whale with a calf frolicking around Alcatraz Island and Angel Island.

We had a Humpback Whale (Humphrey) swim nearly seventy miles up the San Joaquin River in 1985 and then returned again in 1990.

We also have had Sea Lions travel the San Joaquin River as far east as the town of Modesto, get out of the river and cross a major interstate freeway before getting captured.

These animals are very intelligent and curious and are very adept at exploring where they are not really welcome. Sadly, the north/south migration of many whale species crosses close to the coast at the inlet to the San Francisco Bay and large freighters and tankers cannot maneuver in time to stop from hitting these magnificent beasts.

I remember a time when I had my own small fishing boat on the Monterey Bay when a pod of maybe 100-200 common dolphins swam at a rapid pace toward my boat only to dive under the keel with only feet to spare.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451

MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Seal slaps kayaker with octopus

Post  MichaelaSJ on Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:23 am

Okay, this is just too funny to ignore. I came across this video from a group of kayakers in NZ where a fur seal slaps a kayaker with an octopus (scroll down the post):
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/seal-slaps-kayaker-in-face-with-octopus_us_5babf0e0e4b0353bd2d08564

If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451

MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Jehanne on Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:31 pm

So, cool!  Whales are sentient (can recognize themselves as individuals), and so, my guess is that he'll be just fine.  Probably sightseeing.

Jehanne

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:27 pm

Jehanne wrote:Probably sightseeing.
With luck, maybe the Thames whale watchers will get an image of a lifetime:

Fahrenheit 451

MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:24 pm

Hi Miki and Jehanne!

Great vid, I think the Seal is having fun! And such a cute pic too Miki! That is one very plump Beluga! Seeing a Humpback and also all those Sea Lions must be amazing! Oh, they are not nuisances to me, they are welcome anytime, as long as they are safe! Unfortunately I am quite a way from the Thames Estuary, but I love all Cetaceans and I just want Benny to be safe, back with his kith and kin. So yes, GO HOME BENNY!

Well, Jehanne, if Benny is sightseeing, I hope he only wanted to see Tilbury Docks and does goes home and is fine. I'll bet some naughty, giggling fat and tasty fish are to blame, tempting him up the river!

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jehanne on Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:59 am

I have always wanted to go to England, but now, a Beluga Whale has beaten me to it!!

Jehanne

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:36 am

Jehanne wrote:I have always wanted to go to England, but now, a Beluga Whale has beaten me to it!!
You could use "Benny" as an excuse to visit both London and Celia. Smile

Fahrenheit 451

MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:33 am

Hi Miki and Jehanne!!!!

Well, you would be most welcome! Though I hope that Benny , or Bella, (as they don't know if she is a girl or boy), will soon make his/her way home, very soon. I have pasted a thought provoking article at the bottom of my post upon Benny and the fate of the world's marine mammals. It is so sad and those horrid plastics that people throw away and companies use for overwrapping stuff that are part of the problem!

I have even seen bananias wrapped in plastic! Why on earth would anyone wish to wrap a banania in plastic? I am pretty certain that nobody eats the skin! Then there are some other products that actually have plastic wrapped around inner plastics!

It seems that it's never going to be stopped and that upsets me quite a bit. Politicians make little token gestures, kind of pretending to be doing something about it, like putting a little charge upon plastic bags and plastic water bottles, but that is not going to help, at all.

There is no need to have plastic bags for grocery, or any other kind of shopping. In my opinion, they make one look cheap anyway. Fashionable people use proper shopping bags and you can buy nice colourful, funky, or traditional looking bags to shop with made out of material, helping the environment, whilst looking chic too. Say no to plastic!

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/thames-whale-london-benny-beluga-dolphin-conservation-animal-welfare-a8559311.html

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:53 pm

It is a small, but hopefully nascent step at removing the plastic garbage that swirls in our oceans. You can read about this attempt here: https://www.theoceancleanup.com/. It is underway with its first system out of San Francisco with additional  systems to be deployed in the future.

While we need to make every effort to cleanup our garbage, we need to be mindful of the fact that sea life have taken up refuge in this garbage pile. I hope that we do not throw the baby out with the bath water - but unfortunately, that may will happen.

Getting back to whales and how we now getting much of our goods brought to distant shores have an impact on the whale population I am posting this all too often sight - a whale caught on the bow of a cargo ship.

This may have occurred outside the Golden Gate entrance to the San Francisco Bay as the bi-annual north south migration of whales crosses the paths of ship coming and going from The Bay.

Fahrenheit 451

MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:50 am

Hi Miki,

A bit tired, one more night to go.... working way to hard lately. I have seen these boons on the news and in newspapers, they are a small start to a massive problem, I fear it's too late, but hope I am wrong. Should the 'may' you crossed out can replace the 'will', a huge effort will have had to have been undertaken.

That poor whale on the bow of that ship..... I did read once what the nobbly type bit is actually for on the front of many ships, I don't think it was necessaily just to break ice, though I could be wrong, maybe you know? Celia xx

PS: I'll try and not mention it, no, no, no, I won't...…. no! I just would not do that to such a nice person...….. tum-te-tum, la-la-la..... oh I can't help it! Ryder Cup thrashin'!!!!!whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:13 am

Latest update.... Ta-ta-da-da-ta-da-da! Ta-da-da-ta-ta-ta!...…… Ta-ta-da-da-ta-da-da! Ta-da-da-ta-ta-ta!...

Hope you liked the news update kinda noise!

Well, Benny is safe and well and still hanging around Gravesend, that's a week now the cutey has hung around there! Gravesend is where my Mama's Father comes from! My Father, as you may know, was Norwegian and Belugas natural home includes Tromso County or Amter, which was where my Father was raised! Many would argue that it was a sheer coincidence that I'd pick up this story, they would say that paraglidial astral vibes don't exist...... Yeh right Rolling Eyes .

Anyway, he has been joined by two friendly porpoises that were just passing by and I think they will show him the way home. He is feeding well coz the Thames has lots of fishys and though the Thames is mud/clay based murky, it is a quite clean river compared to all large cities.

I think in a few days Benny,.... or Bella, (no they don't know), will be going home. My mysticical runes have determined as I write, that he or she is a teenager in Beluga years. Yes, they show that he or she has runaway from home coz of a silly argument over a squid with a boyfriend / girlfriend or something like that! Very Happy Do know when I am joking!!!!!!!!! Go home Benny!!!!!.... or Bella.

Anyway here is the latest; ta-da-da-ta.... oh you know....
https://www.kentonline.co.uk/gravesend/news/benny-the-beluga-whale-still-attracting-the-crowds-190757/
Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:09 am

Thank you for the update.

Belugas are toothed whales and porpoises are, well porpoises. They are both very social animals and interspecies mingling is not unheard.

I wonder why Benny left his group. I wonder if he is gay or better yet, trans and his group ostracized him (that would be bad). Maybe he is looking for Soho.

Fahrenheit 451

MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:12 pm

Hi Miki!!!

Yes, I will keep you updated. It is a bit of a mystery, some think he could stay quite a while! All pleasure craft and non-essential craft have been banned from the area and the River Authority are on the river 24/7 to make sure no idiots go out and disturb him.

Gravesend does have a funny name, but it's nothing to do with burial ground, it probably derives from the title 'grave', meaning a town or county administrator and probably meant the area is at the end of he's authority. It's a very old town too.

My favourite name for a town is Westward Ho!, yes the exclamation mark is part of the name! It was named after a hotel and the local area adopted the name as it developed. The hotel was named after a book by Charles Kingsley.

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down