Inane vacuous babble, or serious comment (which do you wish?)

Go down

Inane vacuous babble, or serious comment (which do you wish?)

Post  Lesley Niyori on Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:13 pm

Recently (yesterday actually), I posted a comment on my Facebook.

It was impassioned and I suppose it touched a nerve with a long time cis buddy.

He got reeeeeally upset and unfriended me.

It hurt of course that he left. But, man did his comment to my post eeeeever offend my fiance.

It's the current men vs women thing, and I did a transgender take on it, transgender vs cis, mainly cis men.

And my buddy did a splendid job of totally demonstrating his complete lack of understanding what cis privilege means. Not sure he really understand the nature of privilege either. He's a cis white male Canadian.

Sooooo here I am wondering, is it probably better, to just accept, that meaningful dialogue is damned near impossible through what we stupidly call "social media?"

Should I stick to inane meaningless harmless babble? Even here?

I'm told by more than a few people, that they LIKE my comments when I'm clearly impassioned about something. I'm not always right. I get no shortage of people accusing me of outright arrogance and superiority though. Even when I state outright, I don't think I'm always right.

You can't like everyone. And I'm not even interested in trying to be liked by everyone.
I try my best to be a friend.
But I'm not going to lose sleep over someone refusing to be my friend.
If you don't like me, just say so, and then move on.
Don't get all bent out of shape over it.
Because if you are not planning to be a friend, fine, you ain't.
But don't make a campaign out of it.

I'm here ONLY because Celia convinced me it mattered to her that we maintain what we had at the other place.
And I like her forums.
And it is NOT easy to be casually comfortable and transgender on the internet.
This forum is sadly quite a rare place.
If you Google transgender forums, you don't find much.
And we all know of that one place, that sure isn't a good idea.

I'm ok with keeping out the impassioned opinionated commentary if it simply doesn't 'work'.
I'm fairly good at inane babble Smile
I can talk all day about Barbies and Legos ya know Smile
And wigs and jewellery on Joom.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Re: Inane vacuous babble, or serious comment (which do you wish?)

Post  Celia Eriksson on Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:58 pm

Hi Lesley!

Well, I am for one very glad that you are here girl! Everyone is different as I always maintain. Cis men are all different too and it sounds to me that you are much better off not having chat or friendship with that particular man. Cis men and women have different attitudes to us, that is clear. It ranges anywhere between being completely obsessive over us, to harbouring a deep, vicious hatred of us, often borne from their own insecurities.

I do get chatted up from time to time and it happened today, one similar aged to me guy hitting on me at a rather inane place, a bargain shop. Each time I am flirted with, I can sense a difference in every single one of them, I think the saying 'men are only interested in one thing' might hold some water, but in a bigger picture, I think they all have different wants and needs.

It is natural enough and it's no different for women, I have some fantastic girlfriends and I also know plenty that are selfish, unpleasant bitches. I do try to be friends with them all, but I am selective with whom I spend time with. No, btw, I gave the man the cold shoulder.

Although inane stuff is ok Lesley, please don't just stick to inane babble, I know I go on a bit about silly stuff, but that's me. Meaningful stuff that you post is usually quite good and hot debate is great, I know the great Angel crisis brought about a lull in such things, but lively argument is fine. It's only when it slips into mayhem and insults start flying that it becomes a no no. Blogging is ok too, I don't have a problem with people posting bits about their life, it usually induces discussion about all kinds of things.

But a big thank you for being here Lesley and all of you out there too, I will maintain it as long as required as a gentle alternative to that place, which is fine btw, I have nothing against it, it's just not my style either. TG pulse looks not bad, I am a member there, but have not posted anything yet. I've not heard of Joom, I may have a look.

Celia xx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take chances, make mistakes. That’s how you grow.
Mary Tyler Moore (1936-2017).
Celia Eriksson
Admin

http://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mariehart1 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:22 pm

I absented myself from Facebook some time ago, Twitter was never something I used. Indeed I despise the medium as it gives voice to the sort of people you would avoid in person. People with nothing to say but with tremendous self belief in their supposed wisdom.
Indeed I also bowed out of all forums except this one and one other related to a former hobby.

The reason was simple. I saw that most people have nothing to say and neither had I. Too often what I did say was misinterpreted and it ended up in a 'flame war'. I just don't have the psychic energy for it anymore.

Out there social media is poison. Everyone is like a teenager experimenting with drugs and alcohol. It's all new and no one has set the boundaries yet. So yes meaningful dialogue is damm near impossible in general social media particularly in these polarised times. Even if you have something to say it's all lost in the babble that passes for discourse in social media.

But no it doesn't have to be this way here. You can express your views pungent and outspoken or wise and erudite though they may be. But it is a bit of a walled garden. The wider world will never read it.

In my case I don't feel the need to try and educate people anymore. Let them wallow in their ignorance.

You don't have to stop trying though but I fear it's a waste of time.

In my own case I don't even have the motivation to be banal and meaningless much anymore.

But don't let the bastards grind you down.

mariehart1

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:08 pm

I have not signed up for a Twitter, Instagram, insert name of social media site here ______________. I only have a Facebook account because many sites require some form of social media logon to access their site.

I have a Samsung 8 phone, that I leave home more often that not and I really don't need the apps that came with it. (I do have one app 'Voice Pitch Analyzer' that is useful.)

I never acquired the casual talk skills that many women cherish. I converse more easily writing out my thought than speaking 'off the cuff'.

I do not appreciate 'vacuous' conversations as I see them mostly a waste of time. I know I can insert my opinion into things and when I do I come across as arrogant, but I don't need to discuss what color my nails are, or what bra do I wear.

I do need to discuss hurricanes, climate change, right-wing politics and bathroom use.

If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451

MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaibeth on Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:22 pm

Don't you change a thing, Lesley. One of my favourite things about being invited to this forum was seeing that you are here.

That's not flying! That's falling with style!
There is an art to flying, or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Trans support chat - link to room below rules.
Kaibeth

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:14 pm

So Lesley, as you see, you bring the ladies out for discussion! Like, look! I am, going on to the subject of Samsung 8's and the like now, see what I mean????. Coz I fully understand why Miki leaves her so called 'smart' phone at home! I had one of these super dooper phones and it was even bought for me in actually fact! But for the life of me, I could not work out how to answer it, whenever it rang, more often than not I managed to hang up!

So I went back to my old small Nokia, I had to get another chip type thingy to put in it and buy a new battery coz it's about 10 years or more old!

As for apps and all that stuff, sorry I really can't do that downloading bit, I only really know the computers we use well at work and I am slowly getting better at knowing them at home. I do play silly games, like bubblewitch saga, on my kindle fire, but apart from that I'm hopeless. TBH getting used to all the admin stuff here took months of practise, I even edited one of Miki's posts by mistake as she will probably remind me!!!!! Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mariehart1 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:30 am

Let no one diss the Samsung 8. I'm typing this on one now. I love my S8. My constant companion. I play Candy Crush on it, pay my bills, order anything I want on it, take photos, find recipes, watch TV and read Trans times on it to name a few. I love my smart phone. People even phone or text me sometimes. My wife and my friend M mostly. But M is a bit like you guys, afraid my phone is tracking me, which is really. But I don't care. She's smartphone phobic.

I love my S8. She goes with me everywhere. I'd be lost without her, literally because she has GPS. She tells me when it's going to rain and where speed cameras hide and it tells me when the Space Station passes overhead. I can even watch the live feed from the space as it does so. I can tell my wife stranded in Milan or Iceland when her overdue flight is about to arrive or let her know why the trains in London are delayed, all while sitting in a little house on the west coast of Ireland.

I like that. I also like that I know at all times where my son is. He doesn't like that though.

Smartphones are magic, science fiction in my hand. I love them

mariehart1

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:34 pm

Oh Marie, I liked all the inernetty stuff on it, it was just hard to use as a phone! I'd keep hanging up instead of answering! I do most of my browsing on my lappy, but also use my kindle fire for when I'm out and know I'll be waiting, doctor, dentist etc. It is big and takes up lots of room, but I can get games easier just two presses and I have a new game. I've gone through lots, Matchingtn Mansion and Bubblewitch are my favourites atm.

This old Nokia can be charged and last a few days heavy use, unlike the smarty phone, which would last a few hours at best. I still mourn the loss of my even older Nokia, the rubbery covered one, ya could drop that from three floors and it'd still be ok. Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesley Niyori on Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:08 pm

I have an LG X power2 I only got it because I told the clerk "I want something with long battery duration".

It has a better video card than my desktop or laptop.

But to me, it's a phone. I have games on it, but really, it's a phone eh. If I want to play a game, I'll play it on my 32 inch TV screen.

No one ever really calls me on it. I'm pondering telling Koodo to piss off (their idea of service ain't cutting it), and telling my fiance to put me on her service, or potentially, just telling people "if you want me, call her phone and ask to speak to me."

Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  mariehart1 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:38 am

Each to their own. My S8 suits me perfectly. You can even drop it down the toilet without any effect or use it in the shower or bath. I have a nice protective cover on it and could probably use it to hammer nails. Not that I have. The last thing it is, is a phone. It's my entertainment system and source of all knowledge.
It doesn't dominate my life though. But like so many of us I can't be without it.

mariehart1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down