Any Star Trek fans here?

Go down

Any Star Trek fans here?

Post  Jehanne on Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:22 am

I think that Liz is.

Very Happy

All of them (or, most of them) are on Netflix.  Watched part of the very first one (the first pilot, "The Cage", absent William Shatner) on my phone a couple days ago for a few minutes in between taking care of the kids, and wondered how I could have ever found analog TV to be entertaining a mere 3 decades ago!

Jehanne

Back to top Go down

Re: Any Star Trek fans here?

Post  Angelic on Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:08 pm

The new star trek sucks. Never seen it but looks like stupid post-modern crap. Both the movies and the TV show sucks. Seth McFarlane's star trek parody is better than the new star trek.

The old Star Trek is good. Even up to Enterprise. After that it starts to suck.

A TV show is not about the sets. Its about the damn story. Its like a play, or Shakespear. That is what the original star trek is like.
Angelic

Back to top Go down

Post  Jehanne on Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:41 pm

The series has definitively come off the rails here and there.  I liked the TOS, TNG, DS9, and, mostly, Voyager.  With that one some New Age spirituality got mixed in, but the fans complained, and the future episodes went back to the atheistic, materialistic core of Gene Roddenberry's vision, while the crap from the earlier episodes got quietly explained away as being due to psychiatric episodes, illness, etc.  I found all of the movies to be okay; some were just better than the others.  The 1st one with the new TNG crew was, in my opinion, the best.

Jehanne

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesley Niyori on Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:24 pm

I watch the stuff. I don't earn the label 'fan' though. Most assuredly not a Trekkie or Trekker (I'm told there is supposed to be a difference).

I've been ok with the new direction films, although some has looked like the more recent Star Wars films, all about making a buck, and nothing about maintaining the quality.

It was amusing seeing Spock in command and in love and emotional. But like most low-grade humour, it loses it's appeal rather fast. Wiping out Vulcan was just a bit too extreme.

I enjoyed Enterprise and Voyager, but not to the point of anxiously awaiting the next episode. I've seen all of Enterprise, but never actually watched all of Voyager. TNG was ok. I'm not a loyal TOS devotee, but some of the episodes are classic awesomeness.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth Lynn on Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:04 pm

Yep, I'm a fan. Have been since watching the initial episode on a black and white TV fed by an antenna on the roof that was in turn fed a signal from a booster station somewhere in the hills of Montana between Billings and Miles City.

Never really clicked with Enterprise, but watched most of the episodes. Kinda lost track the past couple of years, so will have to catch up on Netflix.

In an odd sort of way, my leadership skills were occasionally informed by some of the episodes over the years.

~ Liz.
Elizabeth Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:11 pm

Hi Everyone!

I watched the original series at around 9 or 10 years old, black and white was the only choice back then, there was no colour. At junior school, we played Star Trek in the playground but me being the doormat, I was always McCoy. The Alpha kid was Kirk and the others had choice roles, we were a small school, there were only 12 boys in my year and about 10 girls.

We had a football team and I was substitute every time, except two times when a very large kid with bright red cheeks was sidelined. I was pretty hopeless to tell the truth, I used to end up chatting with our goalkeeper and got shouted at by our schoolmistress to 'Stop yapping, get out there and do something Ragnar!' I do remember once trying to kick the ball off the line and missing.... oh the screams to 'clear it' and me missing I'll never forget Even though we were as I remember about 6-1 down. The shame was terrible. Embarassed

As I remember we never won anything at any sport and my main memory was getting shouted at a lot by the Alpha kid, he was always the Captain of course. But I played McCoy well. Oh those days, fifty whole years ago!!!! Waaaaaah!!!!. Celia xx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take chances, make mistakes. That’s how you grow.
Mary Tyler Moore (1936-2017).
Celia Eriksson
Admin

http://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mariehart1 on Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:13 am

Like Celia back in the day, we're a similar age. I was the one who was the last to be selected. The useless players. But then again I was determined and as no one took me seriously I waited and would take out the 'star' player on the opposite team just as he was about to score the goal. This never went down well and once I absolutely took out the star player in a team from a very rough part of Dublin who were our opposition. Finglas West. He was carried off and I was withdrawn. We still didn't win. I think we just about escaped with our life. Football in Dublin was something of a blood sport at times. We were a useless team, our goalkeeper fancied himself as Gordon Banks but he was amazed when he saw the size of his first real goalposts. I should mention that even though I grew up in Dublin, Ireland which isn't the UK. I personally had no idea we had a soccer team in Ireland, mostly because they were useless. We followed England, oddly enough. Actually I didn't follow any team but I pretended to.

Anyway, Star Trek. I cannot say I'm a trekkie but I love the original Star Trek series. I remember one evening. My neighbour who was a Fireman, there were a lot of Firemen, cops and soldiers living our road, Mr McDonald, thus had a lot of time off. He had a huge garage in his garden where he moonlighted fixing cars. One summer night my Dad prevailed on him to show me the ropes on car maintenance. I was enjoying it but then I heard the theme tune for Star Trek from the TV back in the house. It was a warm summer night so all doors were open and heard. I was so upset because I missed that episode and 'I would never see it again'. Little did I know.
I have to say my favourite Star Trek is the new generation with Jean Luc Picard. Only tonight I lucked on an episode which I really liked. Riker, Deana Troi and her Mother were kidnapped by the Ferengi, I really fancy Riker and Deana as befits a bi but really I want to be Deana. She is my ideal woman. I want to be her.

Anyway the best part of it was Jean Luc quoting Shakespeare in order to win back Deana's Mother. Which was funny considering Patrick Stewart is such an accomplished British actor.  Brilliant.

That's what I liked about the new generation episodes. It challenged you and sometimes you had to look up things to figure it out.

Plus Star Trek gave me a hopeful vision of the future as we earthlings had advanced in our civilisation. It gave me hope for the future and I naively believed, as did many others that we could achieve that.

Sadly that's no longer true. I firmly believe we have no future in space, it's pure fantasy. There will be no Mars missions, no moon bases. No warp drives, no sub space. We won't be boldly going where no one or man has gone before.

I have to say that's so disappointing for someone like me who grew up in the space race era.

But I can still watch Star Trek and indulge my fantasy. Lose myself for a few moments in space time.

mariehart1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down