Now that Democrats have "won"?

Go down

Now that Democrats have "won"?

Post  Jehanne on Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:50 am

Other than gridlock, what do all of you think will happen?

Jehanne

Back to top Go down

Re: Now that Democrats have "won"?

Post  MichaelaSJ on Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:41 am

Stalemate.

There will not be any impeachment. Pelosi will likely get the Speaker back and she refused to impeach Bush the Lesser when she had the chance.

We will see panels investigating Trump, but at what end. Piss of his base and they will come back at the Dems big time.

Our favorite grandmother Justice RBG broke three ribs today and I do not believe she will end her life on the bench - so, one more nail in the coffin of progress.

We did win some important state governorships and legislatures - maybe we can staunch the ripping of the vote away from the people.

I really don't think we won much - sorry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451

MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesley Niyori on Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:47 am

That sounds about right Miki.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:35 pm

Like Lesley, looking from the outside in, both sides can claim a certain amount of success. I do hope you can do something about this in two years time, my dear American cousins. Please have a candidate that is straight and honest with no skeletons in the cupboard as the Democrat nominee for POTUS.

I think what does not help, is when the press jump down Frumpy's throat at the slightest opportunity, where simply being selective and concentrating on the truly bad things would more than suffice. It is after all, rather like shooting fish in a barrel.

For example, the recent 'shock horror' of banning a reporter was plastered over the BBC, where in fact the President was moving along a line of reporters, when the reporter decided to hog the microphone. It actually was quite rude and would be so with any protocol or person answering open questions. It is the kind of unnecessary thing that shows the press in a bad light and sets doubt as to whether his fake news claim may hold some water, where in truth the claim is usually quite ridiculous. Celia xx

Take chances, make mistakes. That’s how you grow.
Mary Tyler Moore (1936-2017).
Celia Eriksson
Admin

http://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jehanne on Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:53 am

I think that Trump will get impeached, and a majority in the Senate will vote to convict him, just not the two-thirds required for removal from office.

Jehanne

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:14 pm

Here are my two plays:

The Dems convince Mueller to bring his investigation crew and work product over to the House Intelligence (or other appropriate) committee. This will keep Trump from doing anything to stop Mueller going forward with his investigation.Mueller already has indictments in hand and I understand those can't be taken away. (Fuck Trump)

-----------------------------------------------------------

The House Dems votes a simple majority to impeach Trump. The Dems then conspire (yep, that is the correct term) with about 20 GOP Senators not up for election in 2020 to have them vote guilty to get rid of Trump.The GOP gets rid of a pain in the anal area in Trump and moves Pence in the POTUS slot. This has got to be a better scenario than waiting around for Trump to eff everything up for the 2020 election with the GOP losing the POTUS, the Senate and the House. Pence is hardly the best candidate but he brings a lot less baggage with him in the general election and I believe the GOP leadership may want to dump Trump to keep whatever they have left.

If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451

MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:01 am

Sounds about right Miki. A lot of folk fear Pence, but he is probably the lesser of a right wing nut than Frumpy. I don't see Trump being impeached though, I think the whole democratic system of the USA would be called into question. It could present an unfavourable precedent for future incumbents.

The best scenario would be blocking for two years and then, as I said way back when, before November 2016, present a decent candidate to stand for the Democrats. Not a Sanders lefty type one, or a relative of a previous Democratic president. A straight-laced, honest and electable candidate, (and not Oprah Winfrey or any other media giant either!). He or she would win with ease. Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:27 am

Celia Eriksson wrote:A lot of folk fear Pence, but he is probably the lesser of a right wing nut than Frumpy.
What Pence stands for is way right/way evangelical - but, he doesn't have the ugliness of Trump's mouth and will not make a very good national candidate.

Pelosi will fight against an impeachment, but she has a VERY aggrieved Democratic caucus pushing her towards a confrontation with Trump. She is 78 and this is likely he last election - I wonder what she wants her bio to read: took down a corrupt President or babysat a bunch of noisy Democratic Congresspeople.

Celia Eriksson wrote:The best scenario would be blocking for two years and then, as I said way back when, before November 2016, present a decent candidate to stand for the Democrats.
We have a lot of qualified candidates but they are weak.

I like Kamala Harris and Kirsten Gillibrand but they don't have a presence on stage. Elizabeth Warren MUST stay in the Senate - she will piss EVERYONE off. Barry Sanders is too far out there to be competitive.

Sherrod Brown can put forth a good progressive position and will stand up to Trump's bullshit slinging. Richard Blumenthal is similar to Brown, but less appealing on stage. Corey Booker is worth a look but I don't think the Nation is ready for another President of color.

Michael Bloomberg would also make a good choice but he would have to steel himself against the anti-Semites on the right and I am not sure he really wants to put his chin out that far.

Fahrenheit 451

MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:49 am

Hi Miki.

A close colleague to me at work was killed by a car around midnight Friday into Saturday and I am feeling very low. So as I watch the Cenotaph Rememberance ceromony taking place in London, remembering the fallen of wars as I do my washing and ironing. I will think of him when the eleventh hour strikes.

I know of some of those candidates, I am sure I have encountered Kamala Harris before, I think you mentioned her before too. I have looked over them and she seems sound as does Brown. There are one or two others that seem suitable. I am certain that once in to the fray and similarly, once elected, they would prove not to be weak.

For other non-US folk here I have pasted an NBC article that mentions many potential candidates that may prove to be good.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/democrats-vs-trump/top-democrats-who-could-challenge-trump-2020-n746781

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jehanne Yesterday at 7:05 pm

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend and colleague, Celia. Life is so fragile and so short.

Best,

Dawn

Jehanne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum