The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

i am torn on this one...

4 posters

Go down

i am torn on this one... Empty i am torn on this one...

Post  MichaelaSJ Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:11 am

...and I am talking about the Brock Turner case where he raped a Stanford student, was found guilty and subsequently sentenced to 6 months. Not the 6 YEARS that the DA wanted but 6 MONTHS.

The judge, Aaron Persky is up against a recall election over his sentencing - which was within the State's guidelines. I think I am in favor of the recall, but then Persky puts up a good argument about the 'crowd' deciding upon the fate of a convicted individual and not the law as imposed by a judge.

These is a very good article @ https://highline.huffingtonpost.com/articles/en/brock-turner-michele-dauber/
From the website:
“I felt pine needles scratching the back of my neck and started pulling them out my hair. I thought maybe, the pine needles had fallen from a tree onto my head. My brain was talking my gut into not collapsing. Because my gut was saying, help me, help me.”
—EMILY DOE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

i am torn on this one... Empty Re: i am torn on this one...

Post  jentay1367 Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:55 am

Apparently, the Good Judge Persky has made other misogynist
and dubious decisions supporting the patriarchy on the Bench.
Another one that feels he's there to write law and not uphold it. I hope they sweep him out the door. I can't stand Jurists who use their power as a bully pulpit. So yeah, if the people decide he's unfit, so be it. Jeesh, someone needs to check this moron.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everything you want is on the other side of fear

jentay1367

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesley Niyori Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:19 am

I'm not torn on that one. I just hope I'm never a victim.

Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:58 pm

jentay1367 wrote:he's there to write law and not uphold it.
The problem is that he followed the law, he gave an inappropriate sentence - 6 months versus the 6 years recommended by the District Attorneys office, but that sentence was within the guidelines allowed the judge.

You may not be familiar with the cultural geography of where I live, but less than 3 miles from Stanford University where the rape occurred is East Palo Alto, a predominately African-American community. If the rapist had been from East Palo Alto and not a Stanford student, the penalty would have been much greater.

One of the things that framed this particular case was the father of the rapist stating, at sentencing that his son made a 'mistake' and why should his life be ruined for an event that took less than 20 minutes to complete.

WTF. There was no consideration of the horror the victim may relive the rest of her life. I have first-hand knowledge of what it is like to be raped and it profoundly, PROFOUNDLY, changed my life.

At least the rapist has now been labeled a sexual predator and must register as such. Sorry, dad, but you should have taught your son better.

Note: I just voted to recall. I will post the election results Wednesday morning.

"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:49 pm

Hi Michaela and Jess!!!!

Well, I'd be inclined to say that 6 years is too short! I'd reckon about 12 would be about just.

Celia Eriksson
Admin

https://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:49 am

The guidelines for sentencing allowed for a maximum of 12 years. I and many others felt the District Attorney's recommendation of 6 years was VERY generous.

Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:40 am

Hi Michaela!!!!

Oh, and I never knew that. There is good movement over here, about some things happening with our government, they are considering the halving of sentencing and what a felon gets a felon would serve, but it 'aint happenened yet! So over here he would serve 3 months with good behaviour.

Some of our sentencing is a joke. Someone can steal a car, drive at 100 mph being chased by the police, endanger all and sundry and get a suspended sentence and be just banned from driving.... even if they don't hold a license.... i.e. nothing, nada, nil.

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

https://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:04 pm

He was recalled last night.

Some of the comments from voters were similar to mine. We should not simply challenge judges for their decisions, nor should we vote on a sentence for each criminal conviction, as they do in certain states - most notably Texas.

But, Persky's bad decision on the sentencing of this rapist could not be rationalized and he needed to go lest he once more let a rapist skate with only a slap on the wrist.

Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  jentay1367 Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:27 am

His action spoke to his misogyny. As to whether he could understand it and internalize it isn't the point, his actions simply speak volumes about his capacity to mete out just sentencing.
Glad the folks there made a sane decision.

Everything you want is on the other side of fear

jentay1367

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum