Leonard Cohen

Go down

Leonard Cohen

Post  MichaelaSJ on Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:43 am

Leonard Cohen was a Canadian singer-songwriter, poet, and novelist. He was not well-known in the U.S. as he was not very 'commercial.

The reason I writing this is that I just watched a memorial concert entitled "Tower of Song" at the Bell Centre in Montreal. It brought back memories of the '60s, '70s and Vietnam and all of the shit I have seen. If you have a chance look up the performance.

Cohen was also a poet and I offer this from a publication in the New Yorker:
Steer Your Way
Leonard Cohen

Steer your way through the ruins of the Altar and the Mall Steer your way through the fables of Creation and the Fall Steer your way past the Palaces that rise above the rot Year by year Month by month Day by day thought by thought

Steer your heart past the Truth you believed in yesterday such as Fundamental Goodness and the Wisdom of the WaySteer your heart, precious heart, past the women whom you bought Year by year Month by month Day by day thought by thought

Steer your path through the pain that is far more real than you that has smashed the Cosmic Model, that has blinded every View And please don’t make me go there, though there be a God or not Year by year Month by month Day by day Thought by thought

They whisper still, the injured stones, the blunted mountains weep As he died to make men holy, let us die to make things cheap And say the Mea Culpa, which you’ve gradually forgot Year by year Month by month Day by day Thought by thought

Steer your way, O my heart, though I have no right to ask To the one who was never never equal to the task Who knows he’s been convicted, who knows he will be shot Year by year Month by month Day by day Thought by thought
Cohen recorded this prose as a song on the 'You Want it Darker' album (2016)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451

MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Re: Leonard Cohen

Post  Celia Eriksson on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:28 am

Hi Michaela!!!

I had heard of Cohen, but it s a vague recollection. I do remember him being mentioned in 2016, upon his death. The poem is quite poignant, but the way it's pasted above, it would not be easy to read for anyone one that does not know prose very well.

I will have to make a point of listening to some of his stuff later. Celia xx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take chances, make mistakes. That’s how you grow.
Mary Tyler Moore (1936-2017).
Celia Eriksson
Admin

http://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:55 pm

This is ALL you need:

https://youtu.be/BG-_ZDrypec

Cohen was the sexy, late-blooming gloom-monger among a small, elite coterie of singer-songwriters who came to define the Sixties and early Seventies. His rumbling voice, Spanish-y guitar lines and deeply poetic lyrics transubstantiated the sacred into the profane and vice versa. While early songs like "Suzanne," "Sisters of Mercy" and "Bird on a Wire" made him a college-dorm fixture, later masterpieces like "Everybody Knows," "I'm Your Man" and "The Future" introduced him to a new generation of post-punks and fellow travelers.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictures/leonard-cohen-20-essential-songs-w449797
The verses I posted were as they were written in the New Yorker. I will post the lyrics below:
Lyrics
Steer your way through the ruins
Of the altar and the mall
Steer your way through the fables
Of creation and the fall
Steer your way past the palaces
That rise above the rot
Year by year
Month by month
Day by day
Thought by thought

Steer your heart past the truth
You believed in yesterday
Such as fundamental goodness
And the wisdom of the way
Steer your heart, precious heart
Past the women whom you bought
Year by year
Month by month
Day by day
Thought by thought

Steer your path through the pain
That is far more real than you
That smashed the cosmic model
That blinded every view
And please don’t make me go there
Tho’ there be a god or not
Year by year
Month by month
Day by day
Thought by thought

They whisper still, the ancient stones
The blunted mountains weep
As he died to make men holy
Let us die to make things cheap
And say the Mea Culpa which you’ve probably forgot
Year by year
Month by month
Day by day
Thought by thought

Steer your way, o my heart
Tho’ I have no right to ask
To the one who was never
Never equal to the task
Who knows he’s been convicted
Who knows he will be shot
Year by year
Month by month
Day by day
Thought by thought

They whisper still, the ancient stones
The blunted mountains weep
As he died to make men holy
Let us die to make things cheap
And say the Mea Culpa which you gradually forgot
Year by year
Month by month
Day by day
Thought by thought

If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451

MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:56 pm

Hi Michaela!!!!!!

Oh, I didn't like it......

But, he has a way with words, I like the lyrics lots!

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:45 pm

That's okay. Cool

Cohen described himself as a believer but in many things spiritual. He was a Jew, but sought out Buddhism and thought Jesus was a bright light.

I am not a believer, but when songs like this come along, I find myself caught up in the spirit of what the writer is asking of me and frankly - I wish there was something I could hang onto.

I simply cannot reconcile a need for something greater than me or in life generally, and the absurdity of a 'god' born of a religion.

I cannot get past Paul Simon's 'A Bridge Over Troubled Waters' or Beethoven's 'Ode To Joy' without tearing up.

Oh, well.

Fahrenheit 451

MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:05 pm

Simon and Garfunkel are brill!

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:28 pm

Celia Eriksson wrote:Simon and Garfunkel are brill!
Mostly Paul Simon as the lyricist and musician but Art Garfunkel added some very brilliant vocals that Simon would never be able to accomplish.

Fahrenheit 451

MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:25 pm

Sound of Silence and Scarborough Fair are my favourites by them....

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:22 am

Sounds of Silence (especially the first play - acoustic)
Bridge Over Troubled Waters
The Boxer
Cecilia (I know, I know - too many letters)
America
My Little Town

I also like the stuff that Simon did on his own, especially the Chimbetu songs.

Fahrenheit 451

MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down