A good tug at the heartstring...

Go down

A good tug at the heartstring...

Post  MichaelaSJ on Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:47 am

I have been disturbed, very disturbed by the machinations of my government in managing to treat our brethren to our south, the Latino brothers and sisters AND their children as simply being like chattel. I cannot imagine what I would do if my Son and Daughter were taken from me for simply wanting to be free, free of the monsters that they live with daily in the own countries.

I just finished re-watching the movie 'Amistad' about a slave trading ship, La Amistad, sailing under a Spanish flag in 1839. It is a re-telling of a true tale of the capture of the Mende in Sierra Leone who were sold into slavery, first by the Portuguese slavers and secondly by the Spanish slave traders in Cuba who purchase the Mende as property.

The Mende rose up against their captors, killing most of the Spanish crew. The Mende were duped by the navigators who they spared and the sailing ship was later recaptured the U.S. Navy. The U.S. government took the Amistad into custody and held the Mende as the property of the Spaniards, as they were perceived to be in the various trade treaties between the two countries.

What I find ironic about the re-telling of this story is the somewhat loose parallel it has with our current government's efforts to treat those seeking asylum in our Country as simply chattel who are to be given no consideration for what they endure in their own country to get to ours.

The then Queen if Spain, Isabella II was a mere child (think Trump) at the time of the Amistad and would do virtually anything her 'handlers' would have her do. The SCOTUS heard an appeal by our then Secretary of State, John Forsyth (think of Jeff Sessions) demanding the upholding of the Spanish treaties.

The SCOTUS:
In 1840, a federal district court found that the transport of the kidnapped Africans across the Atlantic Ocean on the Portuguese slave ship Tecora was in violation of laws and accepted treaties against the international slave trade by Great Britain and Ireland, Spain, and the United States. The captives were ruled to have acted as free men when they fought to escape their kidnapping and illegal confinement. The court ruled the Africans were entitled to take whatever legal measures necessary to secure their freedom, including the use of force. Under international and sectional pressure, eighth American President Martin Van Buren (1782-1862, served 1837-1841), ordered the case appealed to the Supreme Court. It affirmed the lower district court ruling on March 9, 1841, and authorized the release of the Africans
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._The_Amistad

Unfortunately, this SCOTUS decision did nothing for those slaves already 'owned by their American masters.

I wonder if our current SCOTUS would have the humanity to rule against the Trump regime and support anything the Trump regime wants it to. Remember, they now have their man, Neil Gorsuch on the bench.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451

MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Re: A good tug at the heartstring...

Post  Celia Eriksson on Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:01 pm

Hi Miki!

I watched that film some time ago, it certainly was quite a story. Did not John Quincy Adams defend the slaves? I know it certainly tugged my heartstrings when I watched it and I remember looking it up, as I always do with totally, actual factual and undeniably true stories, a bit like my fun thread ones!  Very Happy  Celia xx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take chances, make mistakes. That’s how you grow.
Mary Tyler Moore (1936-2017).
Celia Eriksson
Admin

http://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:10 pm

John Quincy Adams, the sixth President of the U.S. was a member of the House of Representatives when he presented the La Amistad case at appeal to the Supreme Court for the Mende.

John Adams and his son John Quincy were both staunch abolitionists. He was also a very competent ambassador and Secretary of State.

His character was played by Anthony Hopkins who bore an uncanny resemblance to the real life Adams.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Quincy_Adams

If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451

MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:53 am

Yes Miki, I remember Hopkins playing him now, I did try to remember who it was, I am surprised I forgot it was AH, coz I think he is a great actor. I should spend time and look it all up, but I am mid shift of three nights in a row. Just one more to go thank heavens!

My favourite with Anthony Hopkins is The Remains of the Day. A bittersweet and poignant story of an English Butler in the '30s. Well worth watching, given the chance. Celia xx

Take chances, make mistakes. That’s how you grow.
Mary Tyler Moore (1936-2017).
Celia Eriksson
Admin

http://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelic on Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:35 pm

These people are not my brothers or sisters however I see no reason to deport their families like that. Either deport them fully or not at all. There is no logical reason to separate children from their parents. They should deport the kids with their parents if the goal is deportation. The only logical explanation is that the republican party is evil and sadistic.

I wish I could form my own political party however people like me are denied a voice by society.
Angelic

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down