The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hawai'i business casual?

4 posters

Go down

Hawai'i business casual? Empty Hawai'i business casual?

Post  Tara Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:03 pm

OK, fashionistas, I have a business trip to Hawai'i coming up in a couple of weeks. I've never been there before.

I'll be there for a week. I have a pretty good idea what I'll be wearing after hours, and on the weekend. But I'm fishing for ideas for working hours. When I google for images of women's Hawaiian business casual, I get almost all suits (ridiculous!), or swimwear (inappropriate in the office!) or muumuus.

The rule for the office is no dresses or skirts, no shorts. This is because there is likely to be some under-desk crawling to pull network cables and such, and probably some outdoor work with wireless stuff.

And here are my own preferences:

- Nothing too dressy, as it would be at risk of being ruined. Besides, it's Hawai'i, and I'm a geek girl. Who wants to look formal?

- While I don't mind a low-key version of the "Aloha style", I don't want to look like an over-the-top tourist.

So, what would you wear?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~*~ Tara

"Believe nothing you hear, and only one half that you see." — Edgar A. Poe
Tara
Tara

Back to top Go down

Hawai'i business casual? Empty Re: Hawai'i business casual?

Post  MichaelaSJ Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:30 pm

I would think ladies Docker style pants and a flowery polo or a bright color short sleeve cotton top would work nearly everywhere. Low heel sandals or tennis shoes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:40 pm

Let me be olde fashioned, coz Miki is about right. Jax pants and light jacket to match with white blouse only, make sure the pants cup your ass/bum. Colours are your choice, but in Hawaii? Maybe fuchsia or red pants and jacket, these would not look too formal, just make sure they are light to wear. You could go sky blue, that would work. I know you said no formal suit, but with the restrictions you stated, it'd be how I'd go. Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

https://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tara Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:12 am

I'm not a big fan of polos, as I've found that I'm more likely to be mis-gendered when wearing even a women's cut polo shirt. But maybe some feminine patterns would work; that's a good idea. Otherwise, I'm leaning toward vee neck tee shirts.

One look I refuse to do is the Trumpista red polo over khaki Dockers!

Dockers are a good thought, maybe in a light grey. And bum cupping is a good thought, Celia. As a runner, I have a brag-worth bum and great calves.

I do like fuchsia, along with various violets and purples.

I'll probably acquire a lightweight jacket, but definitely not a suit coat or heavy blazer. Hawai'i in September is likely to see daytime temperatures in the 80s F / upper 20s C.

Definitely low heel sandals. Something like slingback Birkinstocks, maybe.

Thanks for the ideas, and I'm open for more!

~*~ Tara

Tara
Tara

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:01 pm

I have been to the islands maybe ten times, but not in the last twenty years. I seem to recall that red was only a favorite color for older Asian women.

Lighter shades of red would likely work although fuchsia is a very bright shade and may overpower your presentation.

Tee shirts (Zuckerberg notwithstanding) is not a good idea for a business environment. If you decide to go the tee look, get one with a distinctive collar. Also, a no sleeve versus short sleeve tee (not a tank top) may look more professional (although I don't think so).

"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Abby Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:05 am

How about jump suits? Light, airy and easy to swap over at the end of work to a clean set?

To those who've survived: Breath. That's it. Once more. Good. Your good. Even if you're not, you're alive. That is a victory. Jemisin

I am dyslexic, and normally use a smart phone to interact with the world. So the words written may not be the words intended to be used.
Abby
Abby

Back to top Go down

Post  Tara Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:27 pm

Abby wrote:How about jump suits? Light, airy and easy to swap over at the end of work to a clean set?

Funny, I have never, in my adult life, considered wearing a jump suit. I may have to go into a quiet place and rethink my entire life. Shocked

~*~ Tara

Tara
Tara

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:30 pm

Tara wrote:Funny, I have never, in my adult life, considered wearing a jump suit. I may have to go into a quiet place and rethink my entire life. Shocked
Don't, you are doing just fine never having thought of a jumpsuit.

My wife bought me one about 30 years ago. I have worn it once and it is still hanging in the back of the closet.

Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Abby Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:01 pm

I was sceptical thinking they were only for short skinny girls untill i saw a cis friend in one (she slightly taller and bigger than I am,) it looks very feminine if a little dated, but that's the fashion I suppose. Could short shorts and tights work? Bit 1999 but looks good in my option especially with doc Martins. (Considering what I tried to wear before the wife stoped me at times, it's probably not that great an Idea!)

To those who've survived: Breath. That's it. Once more. Good. Your good. Even if you're not, you're alive. That is a victory. Jemisin

I am dyslexic, and normally use a smart phone to interact with the world. So the words written may not be the words intended to be used.
Abby
Abby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum