The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Film and TV favourites.

5 posters

Go down

Film and TV favourites. Empty Film and TV favourites.

Post  Celia Eriksson Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:24 pm

Hi Everyone!

I have had my hot bath and I'm here for an hour or so whilst my body cools down, for it's IPL day and I have lined up a couple of films to watch whilst I carefully zap away for three or four hours! I thought it would be a good idea to have a film and TV thread, where we can share our thoughts upon it. I will list my favourite films, that is 'all time', so they are not going to be all modern ones.

So before I do that, this thread is also about television series, drama and any other televisual stuff! For example, I'm watching Orphan Black on Netflix at the moment, it's amazing, but I also have a raft of films to go through. Working long hours restricts my time to watch, but I do like to snuggle down to watch a good film or TV series when I can.

My favorites are, in no particular order apart from the first one..... Donovans Reef with Elizabeth Allen, Lee Marvin and John Wayne...terrific! Battle of Sebastapol, about a woman sniper in WWII. The Green Mile and Bridge of Spies with Tom Hanks. The Flight of the Phoenix both films, love those. The Flowers of War. Two Jack Nicholson films, As Good As It Gets and Something's Gotta Give, Caddyshack and Private Benjamin are are my favourite comedies and Carmen Jones my favourite musical from 1954 with Dorothy Dandridge.

Let's hear about your favourite TV and film!!! Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

https://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Film and TV favourites. Empty Re: Film and TV favourites.

Post  Abby Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:55 pm

TV
Red Dwarf, doctor who (all of them),

Films
Matrix, alien, who Framed Rodger rabbit , Princess bride, tomb raider, Indiana Jones (even the 4th!) Oh and and the original st Trinian's. (It looked like a fun school when I was a kid! )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those who've survived: Breath. That's it. Once more. Good. Your good. Even if you're not, you're alive. That is a victory. Jemisin

I am dyslexic, and normally use a smart phone to interact with the world. So the words written may not be the words intended to be used.
Abby
Abby

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucy Catherine Schoon Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:44 pm

Tv: doctor who for me too.... Both classic and new. And red dwarf. Black adder, leauge of gentlemen, dave gorman, QI, cats does countdown, I also sometimes watch classic coronation street on itv3, but not the current series.I

Films: little mermaid, ameile, rocky horror,psycho, sabrina, evita, rent, the producers (both) Muppets Christmas carol, little shop (directors cut), while you were sleeping, splash!......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Love is natural,  hate is taught.... Like a Star @ heaven
Lucy Catherine Schoon
Lucy Catherine Schoon

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:02 pm

TV U.S.:

• Elementary (current) protagonist(s) a modern day Sherlock Holmes and a delightful Joan Watson, MD
  • Sinner (current) a quirky storyline about cultism
  • Jack Ryan (current) a take off on the Tom Clancy genre of spy thrillers
  • Longmire (past) a modern day cowboy story [VERY GOOD]
  • Law and Order (past) a sequential plot crime and punishment
  • The Knick (past) a gritty hospital drama set in the early 1900s in NYV
  • House M.D. (past) a quirky personality driven comi/drama
  • Gracepoint (past) a US remake of Broadchurch

TV British:

• Broadchurch (past) a quirking whodunit
  • Inspector Morse (past) a nicely paced whodunit
  • Prime Suspect (past) if you missed this series, kick yourself - hard
  • Sherlock - (past) a fast paced whodunit [great acting: Martin Freeman is great]

Movies: (I am not big on movies but coming of age movies grab me best)

• Stand By Me (1996) After the death of a friend, a writer recounts a boyhood journey to find the body of a missing boy.
  • Good Will Hunting (1997) Will Hunting, a janitor at M.I.T., has a gift for mathematics, but needs help from a psychologist to find direction in his life. [Robin Williams at his very, very best]
  • The Fisher King (1991) A former radio DJ, suicidally despondent because of a terrible mistake he made, finds redemption in helping a deranged homeless man who was an unwitting victim of that mistake. [Jeff Bridges and Robin Williams in a potent social statement]
  • Anything with Matt Daman
  • The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2011) British retirees travel to India to take up residence in what they believe is a newly restored hotel. Less luxurious than advertised, the Marigold Hotel nevertheless slowly begins to charm in unexpected ways [Judi Dench and Bill Nighy make this a must see]
  • Henry V (1989) A classic Shakespeare play brought to life by Branagh [a must watch if only for the Crispin speech]
  • Romeo and Juliet (1968) This is the version directed by Franco Zeffirilli [a beautiful production]
  • A Man for All Seasons (1966) A great production about Thomas More and his conflict with Henry VIII
  • One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest (1975) I saw the stage version in San Francisco and had to see the movie for contrast. Too bad the stage version is no longer in production but the must movie version is still available.
  • Argo (2012) Good action/drama
  • Spotlight (2015) A fantastic expose of the Catholic church's diddling little boys and girls [a must see]

"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:57 pm

Hi Everyone!!

All done (the IPL!, Much longer than thought, the smell of frazzled bulbs is in the air though!). I have to agree with St. Trinians Abby, they were great, do you remember George Cole as Flash Harry!?

The Producers was great Lucy, yes a favourite, especially the German fella! And Miki I shall look up Gracepoint and have a look, coz Broadchurch weren't too bad. A Man For All Seasons is a classic and a great choice! Keep us up to date with Netflix choices too, it'll save searching through reams of stuff to get to the best! Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucy Catherine Schoon Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:15 pm

Ah..... The German fella. Franz liebkind. As played by. Kenneth mars and will Farrell, respectively.

The Teutonic twit whos written a play to clear the furhers name (!). He was never a member of the Nazi party!!!!! He didn't even know their was a war on!!!! He was at the back...... Near Switzerland......

Hitler was a better painter the Churchill. He could do a whole apartment in one afternoon. Two coats!!!!!

Lucy Catherine Schoon
Lucy Catherine Schoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:40 pm

Yes, and with a great send up, not to be taken seriously, it was after all a comedy, the words to the musical..... Springtime, for Hitler and Germany..... Winter for Poland and France!

Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder's finest! The guy who played Hitler was a hoot too! Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesley Niyori Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:09 pm

MacGyver and SG1 (loved Richard eh).
Game of Thrones.

Lord of the Rings
Dr Zhivago, Sound of Music and Lawrence of Arabia.

Anime, specifically girlie anime ie stuff like Sailor Moon and K-On and shows like Kashi Mashi (more so since my transition). As well as the adventure type stuff or scif fi like material.

Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:35 am

Lucy Catherine Schoon wrote:Hitler was a better painter the Churchill. He could do a whole apartment in one afternoon. Two coats!!!!!
Brilliant Exclamation

"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:48 pm

Yes pretty much any Mel Brooks movie has to be on the shortlist. Agree with a few here. I do Red Dwarf too plus watching the series instils a sense of nostalgia because it originally was on Saturdays and I usually went into town shopping on Saturdays. I love shopping.

Currently I watch anything of Lucy Worsley's. I really like her style and in any case I love history and her often female centric subjects. I watch nearly any history documentaries. Anything from Bettany Hughes too.

I've gone off a lot of current TV drama these days. Just can't get into them. I watch Morse on ITV4 at the moment. ITV4 is great for nostalgia. The Sweeney, with the great John Thaw again. Minder. The Avengers. The Professionals with Bodie and Doyle. I never thought when I watched the Professionals years ago that one day I would work with Doyle, Martin Shaw. I was a regular extra on Inspector George Gently, which I also like. It was made in Dublin for a long time, despite being set in the North East of England.

Comedy, I like the Big Bang Theory still. But I loved the spin off Young Sheldon which is brilliantly written made more fun because my younger son displays a lot of similarities to the character. He was born conservative and stuffy while being highly almost gifted intelligent. It must be genetic.

Movies: Bladerunner the original. Haven't seen the sequel yet. Rutger Hauer, I can repeat word for word his famous dying scene........'like tears in the rain'.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucy Catherine Schoon Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:05 pm

Currently watching my new boxset of classic BBC sitcom, bottom......

In the third series, there is an episode where Eddie and Richie pretend to be man and a wife to steal someone else's honeymoon.

Eddie spends his time pretending to be both a women and a lesbian, in order to get off with women in the bathroom......

This episode must be constantly playing in the heads of every terf when they think of transwomen....

Lucy Catherine Schoon
Lucy Catherine Schoon

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:25 pm

Lucy Catherine Schoon wrote:Eddie spends his time pretending to be both a women and a lesbian, in order to get off with women in the bathroom......

This episode must be constantly playing in the heads of every terf when they think of transwomen....
I didn't read this post before I posted my new thread - I swear I didn't. Smile

Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucy Catherine Schoon Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:57 pm

Another sitcom I'm a big fan of is the leauge of gentlemen. But I do have issue with Barbra, the trans taxi driver.

But who one character, Geoff who's an idiot, refers to as "a big, fat, hairy man in a dress".

I had hoped she's be dealt with more favourably in last Christmas anniversary special. But, they just turned her into some kind of trans version of a radical femeinst......

Lucy Catherine Schoon
Lucy Catherine Schoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:54 pm

Started Friends form the very beginning! I have of course seen all the 10 series of shows before but they seem quite timeless, am enjoying it lots!

Orphan Black, as really, really good as the first 2 series were, is getting a bit over complicated now.

Road To Avonlea I still view, I record the two shows a week on ITV3 Monday 4a.m., they had 8 series so by the time it comes back to series one, I'm ready to watch again!!!! Amazing how the actors grew into that series, it's quite a comedy drama, well worth getting in to!

Never watched League Of Gentlemen, I will give that a shot. Did not like Bottom, I found it a little bizarre and a touch too crude for me.

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucy Catherine Schoon Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:15 pm

Celia Eriksson wrote:Started Friends form the very beginning!  I have of course seen all the 10 series of shows before but they seem quite timeless, am enjoying it lots!

Orphan Black, as really, really good as the first 2 series were, is getting a bit over complicated now.

Road To Avonlea I still view, I record the two shows a week on ITV3 Monday 4a.m., they had 8 series so by the time it comes back to series one, I'm ready to watch again!!!! Amazing how the actors grew into that series, it's quite a comedy drama, well worth getting in to!

Never watched League Of Gentlemen, I will give that a shot. Did not like Bottom, I found it a little bizarre and a touch too crude for me.

Celia xx

If you don't like crude or bizarre, the league of gentlemen isn't for you....

Lucy Catherine Schoon
Lucy Catherine Schoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:02 pm

One I forgot to mention until I saw the repeats. Motherland on the BBC. About a bunch of middle class Mothers in London and the their problems around the kids and school. Sounds twee but is hilarious with vicious and apt comedy. It helps that I'm familiar with many of the issues because I'm a full time housewife whose kids go to a very middle class school which is not dissimilar to the one depicted. Complete with alpha Mothers and harassed working Mothers.
It's written by Sharon Horgan, she's brilliant and also Graham Linehan who co wrote Father Ted which I watch religiously......

Series two of Motherland is on again soon.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucy Catherine Schoon Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:27 am

Is anyone in America going to see the sisters brothers at the cinema next week.

The first major role for British trans actress, Rebecca root.....

Lucy Catherine Schoon
Lucy Catherine Schoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucy Catherine Schoon Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:55 pm

BBC 2 just announced their changing their idents.....

https://images-immediate-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/images.immediate.co.uk/volatile/sites/3/2018/09/BBC2-ident-pic-3595538.jpg?quality=90&lb=720,479&background=white

There's something about this that I can't put my finger on....

Lucy Catherine Schoon
Lucy Catherine Schoon

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:51 pm

Lucy Catherine Schoon wrote:Is anyone in America going to see the sisters brothers at the cinema next week.

The promos for this movie have just started to hit in my area. It is getting good reviews and is being touted as a both a western and a comedy. This is not a new genre for me although 'Blazing Saddles' is very much on the side of comedy.

I will not be seeing this movie simply because it has a transwoman as an actor, as I believe a person should be taken for their skills and not their gender identity.

Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucy Catherine Schoon Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:45 am

MichaelaSJ wrote:
Lucy Catherine Schoon wrote:Is anyone in America going to see the sisters brothers at the cinema next week.

The promos for this movie have just started to hit in my area. It is getting good reviews and is being touted as a both a western and a comedy. This is not a new genre for me although 'Blazing Saddles' is very much on the side of comedy.

I will not be seeing this movie simply because it has a transwoman as an actor, as I believe a person should be taken for their skills and not their gender identity.

She's also in Colette.... can out in America the same weekend....

Lucy Catherine Schoon
Lucy Catherine Schoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum