The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An interesting article on the term LGBTQQ2xxxx

4 posters

Go down

An interesting article on the term LGBTQQ2xxxx Empty An interesting article on the term LGBTQQ2xxxx

Post  MichaelaSJ Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:20 pm

It’s Time to Drop the ‘LGBT’ From ‘LGBTQ’

The article is located at https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/01/dont-call-me-lgbtq/576388/ and is an interesting and quick read.

I disagree with the inclusion of 'T' in LGB...T for reasons I have explained previously, but I agree with the premise of the article in general.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

An interesting article on the term LGBTQQ2xxxx Empty Re: An interesting article on the term LGBTQQ2xxxx

Post  Lesley Niyori Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:54 pm

It makes sense just so long as it is just about who you want to fuck.

LGBTwhatever, isn't just about who you want to fuck.

I'm a T, and frankly, I'm tired of people thinking T is about sex.

IT ISN'T! of course.

The article falls flat on its face when it forgets, marginalised includes your race, your age, your ability or disability, your religion, or lack of religion. None of which is about who you want to fuck.

I don't hate the L the G or the B or all the other terms. I'm just not in a hurry to fret over it as much as my gender. I'm likely a demi. That makes me a D I suppose. Nope, it doesn't make me a Q.

Myself, I'm not waiting for permission from society though. I'm ditching the LGBTwhatever acronym. It's already gone as I see it. You can use it if you must/wish. I couldn't care less.

I'm using M. I'm an Mer, that's pronounced 'emer' Mer means marginalized.

Because that is what society does to too many of us. We get marginalized for not fitting the expected norm.
Gays not wanting to accept that some men have a vagina.
Lesbians not wanting to accept that some women have a penis.
People thinking Bis don't exist.
Transgender people who are non-binary are real too.
And you don't need to pick between a percentage of the binary.
Because some people don't want to have sex at all.
Some like me, will have sex with a person, and not their body.
I've made love numerous times, and without ever involving genitals.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

An interesting article on the term LGBTQQ2xxxx Empty Re: An interesting article on the term LGBTQQ2xxxx

Post  Celia Eriksson Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:55 pm

LGBT is quite enough, the addition of Q is unnecessary in my mind and LGBT is instantly recognisable and not too unwieldy. All the extra add-ons are meaningless. Q on it's own means nothing.

Well, I can see why some see 'T' as being kinda tagged on the end, almost like an afterthought, but I advocate keeping it.. Then again, it is easy to put folk into neat little boxes, file them away into neat little sections. Humans are more complicated than that, every Human is different. Of course many do have similarities, but for example, not all gay men are the same, I can tell you. They are all very different, I have been intimate with men with very different outlooks and wants. I know a gay couple that have been together for ten years and never had anal sex, they are not unique in that either. I have known Lesbian couples that have both been very feminine and equals, others where a dominant partner is feminine and the subordinate woman has been masculine and of course vice versa. I have known many couples where both partners are very masculine. You cannot lump Transgender people into one file either, we are all very different.

Although, imagine if all types of Transgender, Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual individual wanted representation in the acronym?

So do I care about the acronym? Yes, we'd have less, (almost zero), representation without our Lesbian, Gay, and bisexual allies. We are welcome at LGBT events, we are included in he politics of it all. Quite powerful pressure groups like Stonewall and others do include us in their campaigns. Gay online newspapers do report upon misdemeanours against us and support us in the political sphere. I think all that is quite a good reason to remain with the instantly recognisable LGBT. Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

https://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesley Niyori Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:32 pm

Yes, Celia, the acronym is indeed recognizable. Sadly, all it is seen as is an acronym connected to sexuality. There's almost no point mentioning the T isn't about sexuality, as society has long been conditioned to think it's all about sexuality. Because society has long been made to think its about lesbians and gays only.

I belong to PFLAG. A very large organization. The acronym spells out Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays. There's no mention of transgender persons. I'm very comfortable with the organization, but the name doesn't include me. And no, I don't want the acronym to read PFLAGT.

Oddly enough, last night at a meeting, a good friend of mine, who is gay, commented on how it has been the year of transgender at the meetings. That the majority of discussion(s) has been with transgender persons. We have an 8 and a 12 year old transgender female at the group, myself and D'arcy are transgender female, and a friend that is transgender male, plus 3 adult friends/family members of transgender persons. We occasionally have a lesbian member and usually 1-2 gay men.

But the meetings are usually transgender oriented.

It's not that gays and lesbians are getting more rare, it's likely more that gay and lesbian has become normal enough, that they are not newsy enough. Or maybe it's just my area. I have no way of knowing.

Here's the thing of course. I think I might know of some straight transgender persons, but, now that I have realized I'm actually demi, hmm I can't think of any.
But, my life has been all about being transgender. No one looking at me can know my preference. I'm probably just being considered gay by bigots and lesbian by anyone seeing me with a female fiance that isn't a bigot. I'm neither gay nor lesbian though.

And while it might sound unfriendly, the bottom line is you can't tell a cisfemalelesbian from a cisfemalehetero, or a cismalegay from a cismalehetero. They dress about the same, are built about the same and use the same restrooms. Being homosexual is only a thing when it comes to marriage.

Being transgender is a grrrrrrreat deal harder than it will ever be for plain cishomosexuals.

if anything, Marginalized people need each other more so than ever. And marginalized people are marginalized for a great deal more reasons than just sexuality. I don't need the LGB near as much as the LBG need the rest of marginalized society.

Which is why, as I said, I now go by Mers.
I'm not going to avoid the LGBT acronym, I'm just not interested in championing it.
Shit has to start somewhere eh. Might as well be me.

And it's history too. The riots were started by transgender persons, not gays and lesbians.

Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum