The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS REALLY, REALLY PISSES ME OFF

3 posters

Go down

THIS REALLY, REALLY PISSES ME OFF Empty THIS REALLY, REALLY PISSES ME OFF

Post  MichaelaSJ Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:13 am

Harvey Weinstein, for those who do not recognize the name is a movie producer (Miramax) with a decent if not good industry reputation and a horrible reputation as a human being, inasmuch as he treats women as chattel to do what he may with them, sexual or otherwise.

He has been charged in New York City with many charges relating to rape, sexual molestation and sexual molestation. His accusers number in the seventies and he was originally charge with six allegations although one charge was subsequently dismissed, although more accusations may come.

Everyone, regardless of wealth, position, reputation needs to be charged with responsibly obtained criminal charges. Also, EVERYONE deserves to put on a defense, the best defense available to them, regardless of their ability to pay. Harvey Weinstein has hired a defense attorney of the highest caliber who has a record of many successful defenses. And here in lays the rub - please read the following:
In Defense of Harvey Weinstein’s Harvard Lawyer
Law Professor Ronald S. Sullivan Jr. is among the most accomplished people at Harvard. He has helped to overturn scores of wrongful convictions and to free thousands from wrongful incarceration. A sought-after defense attorney and director of Harvard’s criminal law clinic, he became the first African American in the institution’s history to be appointed as a faculty dean, a pastoral role that includes residing at Winthrop House among its undergraduates. But a vocal faction of students now wants to force his resignation, an escalating controversy covered most thoroughly in The Harvard Crimson.

According to the Crimson, vandals spray-painted the doors of Winthrop House this week with “Down w Sullivan!,” “Our Rage is Self Defense,” “Whose Side Are You On?,” and “Your Silence is Violence.” An online petition has circulated among those who want to end his role in residential life. Protesters assembled on campus to publicly show their displeasure. And Harvard administrators launched a “climate review” among the undergraduates in his charge, invoking procedures for “when climate concerns arise in a faculty-led unit.”
Sullivan confronts this “clamor of popular suspicions and prejudices” because he agreed to act as a criminal defense attorney for an object of scorn and hatred: Harvey Weinstein.

Please read the rest of the article @ https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/03/defense-harvey-weinsteins-lawyer-ronald-sullivan/583717/
From the same article:
His detractors should know that by undertaking to represent such a client Sullivan is participating in a tradition older than the nation itself. The British soldiers who opened fire on a crowd of Bostonians in 1770, killing five, were among the most reviled men in the 13 colonies. Harvard alumnus John Adams, a patriot with aspirations for political office, agreed to defend them at trial, even though he knew that he was risking not only his reputation, but the safety of his family, because aggrieved Bostonians felt that their safety was implicated.

“In the Evening I expressed to Mrs. Adams all my Apprehensions: That excellent Lady, who has always encouraged me, burst into a flood of Tears, but said she was very sensible of all the Danger to her and to our Children as well as to me, but she thought I had done as I ought, she was very willing to share in all that was to come and place her trust in Providence,” he later wrote.

Though he went on to sign the Declaration of Independence, and serve as vice-president and president of the United States, he counted bolstering the principle that even people accused of heinous crimes deserve a vigorous defense as “one of the most gallant, generous, manly and disinterested Actions of my whole Life, and one of the best Pieces of Service I ever rendered my Country.

If you have not seen 'John Adams', an Emmy awarded series put on by HBO. You will learn a lot about one of my heroes and someone who change history for the better. https://www.hbo.com/john-adams
Many of you know I was raped when I was a teenager. The following, also from the article sums up what pisses me off about the student response:
Harvard Law Professor Lawrence Lessig echoed the argument that it’s possible to be a survivor of sexual assault and yet feel comfortable with Sullivan’s choice.
“I was raped repeatedly as a boy,” he wrote me. “I would have no problem with Sullivan representing the man who raped me. That’s because I have a clear sense of how vicious and arbitrary the criminal justice system can be. That knowledge leads me to believe that we should encourage adequate representation, not scorn excellent representatives. Defending a criminal defendant is not to defend a crime. That understanding is fundamental to a just criminal justice system.”
If the man who raped me ever appeared in court for his actions, I would spit in his face once he was found Guilty. I would be tremendously disappointed if he was found Not Guilty. But that is our system and we need to respect the outcome, whether we favor it or not - it is the process that is important, not the outcome.

This is well beyond the realm of 'politically correct'. It is intellectual fascism that is now being professed by both side of the intellectual and political environment. The left won't let any conservative (regardless of their voice) speak. The right won't let anyone talk about gun restrictions or any group wanting to remove Civil War reminders.

I have absolutely no answer for what is happening and that frustration is almost palpable, AND that is what pisses me off. Choose your controversy, I can guarantee there is someone who will not want to let you offer your position. Maybe once you understand what is happening, you too will be pissed off.

Thanks for reading the post and please read the article.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

THIS REALLY, REALLY PISSES ME OFF Empty Re: THIS REALLY, REALLY PISSES ME OFF

Post  Celia Eriksson Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:10 pm

Thanks Miki for a candid and deep wrought post. There's not much anyone can say about your experience and though I have had some bad times I can't imagine how terrible that was for you, dear Miki.

Yes, everyone is entitled to a defence lawyer, or chaos reigns. Everyone is also deemed to be not guilty until found guilty by a court of law, else true democracy does not exist. I read the article, but though Weinstein has been in the news, I know not much of the case(s) apart from what I have read here. I do like watching a good film, but I don't follow the social media that surrounds the film industry, tv etc. I'd never heard of him until I saw headlines. I've not read or listened to it in any detail... and still find little interest in it.

John Adams was quite brave to take up the defence of those soldiers, I believe he took some very interesting cases on and clearly led an amazing life. There was the case of a group of slaves? as I remember that he fought and won? I have forgotten now, maybe it was his son...

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

https://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesley Niyori Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:26 pm

A very thoughtful post Miki.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:53 pm

Celia Eriksson wrote:John Adams was quite brave to take up the defence of those soldiers, I believe he took some very interesting cases on and clearly led an amazing life.
John Adams, our second President, being unlucky tucked between the war hero Washington and the intellect of Jefferson means his accomplishments are mostly hidden.

Ironically, both John Adams and Thomas Jefferson, political powerhouses who directed the creation of the United States, and who were both political adversaries, died within hours of each other on the birthday of our Nation, July 4, 1826.

If you can, please try to find the HBO series. Not only is his story told in detail, but the acting is more than superb and the production values equal the acting. I knew after the first segment that Paul Giamatti as John Adams and Laura Linney as Abigail Adams were going to win Emmy's hand down - and they did. The miniseries also won an Emmy because it was simply TV at its very best.

Celia Eriksson wrote:There was the case of a group of slaves? as I remember that he fought and won? I have forgotten now, maybe it was his son...
It was his son, John Quincy Adams our sixth President (1817-1825), who argued before the Supreme Court for the slaves.

The case, United States v. Schooner Amistad, 40 U.S. (15 Pet.) 518 (1841), was ruled in favor of the slaves, but sadly, it was in essence a property case. The case did little to free the remaining slaves already in the States, it took a very bloody war to settle their freedom.

Once again, the story of 'The Amistad' made it to the screen under the direction of Steven Spielberg. It is an excellent repeat of history and certainly on a par with Spielberg's 'Schindler's List'. One your best actors ever, the Welshman Anthony Hopkins was nominated for a Best Supporting Actor and the Movie itself was also Nominated for a Best Picture.

There are scenes of total inhumanity portrayed in the film, so beware ahead of time.

"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:52 pm

Hi Miki!!!

Yes, I shall look up that series, it is just what I simply love, period drama and when the story is true, I like it even more!

The Amistad case!!!! Yes, I remember now, I watched the film and it was very, very good, something else I shall look up later.... now I am off to the kitchen to make some shortbread biscuits!!!

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:12 pm

Ok, I know, two posts in a row!!!! But I looked on Netflix and no Amistad Voyage etc. or John And Abigail Adams: Love And Liberty!!!!

Bwahha...hooooooo….sniff.... sniff...!!!! So disappointed... Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum