The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A lot of engineering/a lot of science

2 posters

Go down

A lot of engineering/a lot of science Empty A lot of engineering/a lot of science

Post  MichaelaSJ Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:18 pm

Last week the Event Horizon Telescope published the most exact representation of a black hole that we have seen. Usually, we are looking at some artists representation of what a cosmologist says a black hole should look like.

Well, the Event Horizon Telescope actually collected 5 petabytes of data from eight different radio telescopes that in total represented a radio telescope as wide as the Earth. (A petabyte is 1 followed by 15 zeros - PB = 1,000,000,000,000,000. For comparison, a gigabyte is 1 followed by 9 zeros - GB = 1,000,000,000)

The Event Horizon Telescope is a group of 8 different radio telescopes at a better understanding can be had at https://eventhorizontelescope.org

The image was collected by accurately pointing and timing the observations of 8 radio telescopes using an atomic clock to record data from an elliptical galaxy, about 53.4 million light-years away from us. After the data was collected it was massaged by many different algorithms until the image looked like this:
A lot of engineering/a lot of science Black-hole-EHT
What you are looking at is the super gases swirling around the black hole at the center of M87. The dark area in the center is the actual black hole but you can't see anything because, well it is a black hole and light does not escape from a black hole.

Radio telescopes are typical giant dishes of what some may have on their roofs at home. The largest radio telescope is the Haystack telescope in Massachusetts:
A lot of engineering/a lot of science 1200px-Millstone_Hill_Radar_-_Haystack_Observatory_-_DSC04019
Another member of the eight telescopes was the multiple array in the Atacama Desert in Chile:
A lot of engineering/a lot of science Viewofaradio

This is truly a fantastic achievement by a group of roughly 200 individuals who put together the engineering to accurately align the eight radio telescope to capture the images at a resolution unequaled before and the astronomers/cosmologists who took the data a coalesced the data into what is now the first image of a black hole.

This is good work Exclamation
M87 is a fairly bright galaxy that can be seen in a moderately sized backyard telescope. I have personally imaged the galaxy and although the image below is not mine, it is very close to what I imaged.
A lot of engineering/a lot of science M87
The two little dots extending from the galaxy at 5:00 are the brighter parts of a jet of gas nearly 4,900 light years in length.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

A lot of engineering/a lot of science Empty Re: A lot of engineering/a lot of science

Post  Celia Eriksson Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:19 am

Whoh….. 53 million light years away! That's far! As, when I hit my second light switch, I can't jump into my liccle bed before it goes dark, so I reckon that's quite a long bus ride away!

But seriously, all that part is quite amazing! The universe is quite weirdy and I reckon it's coz it was made that way. I do like the other pics, I wish to add, before I get on to ….. the piccypoo!

For is it not, be honest Miki... if using those algorythym thingys, totally based upon a computer's impression as the end result kind of thing? That is somehow like me imagining how .... hang on, thinking....

Ok, an image of a superoldymouldy bit of strange coloured cheese, that I've never bought before. It would be how it may look.... through a very, very, opaque bunch of cling film wrappers and then expecting some kind of result after my describing and imputing it into computers, (programmed by me and my thoughts upon the subject), to output a nice colourful picture of the mould?  

Maybe I am just being silly, but I don't believe everything as being totally true to form, especially when agencies require funding from your federal sources. Try to think of the first drawings of maps of the earth, men in the Moon, canals on Mars etc...

So, I reckon that could just have well been a pic of a scientist's German sausage, illuminated with a torch, in a dark place, like a fridge with a broken light!!!

Celia xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

https://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

A lot of engineering/a lot of science Empty Re: A lot of engineering/a lot of science

Post  MichaelaSJ Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:07 am

The data the group collected is real. The cosmology says a black hole will look like what they imaged so the algorithm was massaged to fit what was expected.

I, together with my Wife, met several years ago with a senior astronomer from the University of California whose group is trying to image the supermassive black hole at the center of our galaxy. What they have done so far is to image the stars circling the black hole. The image following this is what the orbits look like around the black hole, Sagittarius A* in the center of the galaxy.

A lot of engineering/a lot of science Image_6245_1e-Sagittarius-A-General-Relativity-Test

Each of those star orbits is an actual star that has been visually imaged over time (several years) and then the orbit plotted. The closest stars to the black hole orbit REALLY fast and circle over a matter of days, not years.

There is a lot more information @ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagittarius_A*#Orbiting_stars

I really enjoy this stuff from a non-scientific perspective.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:59 am

That must be chaos round those stars! Orbiting in days! I suppose any planets that were around them got flung out or crushed.... amazing stuff and well done to those plotting those stars' path!

Anyway, I did an experiment.... lots of wires everywhere! I hooked up my computer to my phone and tabby and the toaster and straightners in the bathroom and kitchen to make a triangle and put in my Pink Cosmic Worm algarythmicthingy black hole theory!

The result!
A lot of engineering/a lot of science Cosmicworm

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:16 pm

I hope you are wearing rubber soled shoes.

Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:42 pm

Well, and there was me thinking this was a techniclological discussion!!!! Are you not cogniscent with the well respected Pink Cosmic Worm black hole theory Miki? He munches stars and stuff and burps the ones he don't like out!!!!

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:21 am

Celia Eriksson wrote:Well, and there was me thinking this was a techniclological discussion!!!! Are you not cogniscent with the well respected Pink Cosmic Worm black hole theory Miki? He munches stars and stuff and burps the ones he don't like out!!!!

Celia xx
I like that theory but it's not pink and it's not a he. I mean come on it's a hole that sucks things in and men get very excited about it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:37 am

... well ok, but, oh alright.... she is billions of light years away!!! Anyway, I enjoyed Miki's pics really, was only having a bit of fun, maybe she should start an astronimicical thread that I promise, (I do promise, honestly!), not be post daft things on!

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum