The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cathedral of Notre Dame

3 posters

Go down

Cathedral of Notre Dame Empty Cathedral of Notre Dame

Post  MichaelaSJ Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:56 pm

I am watching the Cathedral of Notre Dame burn in real time. Sadly, it looks like most of this nearly 700 y/o historical monolith will likely come down as the fire is centered on the tall spire in the middle of the church.

I apologize to the forum for my current POTUS's total, absolute ignorance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Cathedral of Notre Dame Empty Re: Cathedral of Notre Dame

Post  Celia Eriksson Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:30 pm

Oh my, this is awful. That northern part of the Cathedral will be lost I imagine, the fire is raging. I don't watch the news a lot, but reading your post I have switched it on Miki. The bell towers appear to have firefighters actually inside and a hose is directed there, possibly it has caught too, or they are damping it.

This is a world heritage building around 850 years old, you can't dump a heavy amount of water on that, it has lost it's roof which is part of the structural strength. Maybe a helicopter with some well directed hits with the 'bucket' they use, but even that may be risky. Should the stone structure goes, the building is gone forever, if it survives the roof can be replaced. Whatever happens the artwork, the building, the spire, can never be replaced to it's former self.

Mes amis Parisiens, mon coeur est avec vous.

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

https://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:46 am

Around 9:00 PM Paris time the interior minister said the building was lost.

Fortunately, around midnight, Macron said they can save most of the structure and he announced a rebuilding campaign will begin Tuesday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesley Niyori Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:31 am

A billionaire has already offered a fuck ton of cash towards rebuilding efforts.

But sadly, it won't be the same. It might look similar, but the building has died.

Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:20 am

I think I agree with you. And if I do agree with you then it should be leveled so the next generations can get on building a newer Paris - and hopefully a better Paris.

Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:28 pm

Sorry! No it should not be levelled!! It should be rebuilt. Every part that is original pre-2019 will be logged and every new part 2019 and beyond will also be logged. Future generations then have the ability to date when the original parts were actually erected, carved and forged in the future.

It is too ensconced in the Parisian psyche to be levelled..... sacré bleu!

Imagine a world with no historic reminders of the past, it would be kinda 1984 Orwellian drudge, drudge, drudge of twisted modern architectural rubbish... glass and concrete obsenity!!! It does not matter where one comes from, it is not nationalistic, it is world heritage!!!!

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:43 pm

This is Paris, France because sometimes there is a difference. This will bring France together in a way perhaps like 9/11. No enemy just themselves.
Never ever undestimate the French. They will transcend this.

I love France no I adore France.. Last time I was there we were in St Malo. My little son aged 8 loved it so much he didn't want to go home. Neither did we
I feel their pain.

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:28 am

France is beautiful, as is most countries of northwest Europe. We are fortunate to reside here. Normandy and Nord Pas De Calais regions are also now beginning to regain their character. Huge swathes of it had laid barren and bare after the ravages of war, with only young trees on the landscape in many areas for years...

Vive la France!

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:02 pm

I apologize for my post about tearing the cathedral down.

I think it was borne from the idea that a certain segment of our western society wants to keep the old as icons of something better than the future and they use these icons against what is new.

Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:31 am

Yes Notre Dame is not just a cathedral, a church. It is a symbol of France. The French are an exemplar of secularism. But they cling to a, I don't know a sense of revolution and civilisation.
They were among the first alongside America to say a country is for the people. The fact that the Statue of Liberty was a French present to another democracy says something.

The French will unite behind this while still revolting as befits their nature. Any country that has a permanent riot police is a healthy democracy.

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:09 am

The French Revolution destroyed much of the religious imagery of the cathedral.

Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesley Niyori Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:25 am

I can relate to your thinking Miki.

I hate religion. I despise what it did to my fiance the other day. I am no friend of religion.

But Notre Dame is more than 'just yet another church building'.

The church building I attend, it is also a very old building. Not on par with Notre Dame, but, it's been around 150 years. It's been renovated a few times. But it needs to be more than just old to be special.

Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:44 am

One of my friends who I worked with and one of only two people from my previous life I told about Miki was a very religious Catholic, in the Jesuit sense. He knew I was an atheist and we never discussed religion, except for the one time mentioned below.

We were driving through the Central Valley of California and we would pass mega-church after mega-church after mega-church.

I briefly mentioned that his Jesus once railed upon the steps of Herod's temple against the money-changers and I wondered what he would think of all of these monoliths being built in his name by those who collect large sums of money. My friend quietly said he would be disappointed.

It is not so much that I am against anyone's god (I am not); I am against the hypocrisy of their religions.

Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum