The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top of the pops 1987, where was I?

3 posters

Go down

Top of the pops 1987, where was I? Empty Top of the pops 1987, where was I?

Post  Guest Sun May 12, 2019 12:17 am

Watching BBC4 tonight replaying Top of the Pops from 29th October 1987. The BeeGees were number one and it finished on Fleetwood Mac, 'Sweet little lies', which both my sons love as it happens.

Brought back memories. Hard to believe it was 32 years ago

Last edited by mariehart1 on Sun May 12, 2019 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Top of the pops 1987, where was I? Empty Re: Top of the pops 1987, where was I?

Post  MichaelaSJ Sun May 12, 2019 1:37 am

In 1987, I was married, 41 years old and trying to keep a failing homebuilding business afloat - it eventually sank 4 years later.

The pilots, late, flew into a vicious thunderstorm and in their haste to get the plane on the ground forgot to arm the air breaks. Pilot and 9 others died in the crash. Training, training, training, training.

I do not recall ever listening to anything the BeeGees performed, but Fleetwood Mac - oh yes. Lindsey Buckingham was a very underrated guitarist.

U2 had 'With or Without You' and I can still listen to that cut anytime. 'The Way It Is' and 'Mandolin Rain' by Bruce Hornsby and the Range is also in my memory.

Also, most of Genesis will elicit a fond memory.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesley Niyori Sun May 12, 2019 2:18 am

1987, first anniversary, we went for our first actual honeymoon. That year was ghastly hot so I told mom, "nope, not going to Florida to see grampa" (regardless of her saying "he might not be around forever you know"). I was going from a brutally hot summer (I delivered furniture eh) to an even hotter place for my first decent honeymoon. So we went up north to Algonquin in October and enjoyed how it snowed a bit while we were there. Nice cool days, in a wonderful cabin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Sun May 12, 2019 7:08 am

By October, I too was 27, the supposed zenith of youth is 27.... '87, the only time I lived inside Greater London, I lived in a garret in Hanwell for a few months, can't remember the months too well, summer I think. It was a boyfriendless phase during that time too.

Music wise? Not many memories of anything contemporary I liked, for by then I was certainly listening to Country and folk music. I know I went to the folk festival at Cherry Hinton in Cambridgeshire, I went quite a lot, but I'd have to look up who played to remind me of it, my memory is not that good. I think I went to Munich that year too, in September, I have been there twice and I'm pretty certain I went again in '87.

Yes diaries are good things, but then I used to start them and by, or before, the second week of January I'd get fed up writing in it every day or night and would give up and the diary would be binned. For it would be nice to know what else I did that year, I used to do lots of stuff.

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

https://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 12, 2019 9:11 pm

It's funny how a whole year, 12 months, 365 days just disappears for the most part from our minds. In fact years at a time. Worse for me they were the supposed prime of my life.

All lost 'like tears in the rain'.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesley Niyori Mon May 13, 2019 2:15 am

Nice Bladerunner quote application Smile

While I can recall pieces, as if something I read in a book, I have essentially 'lost' everything prior to 2012.

Simply no connection. No relevance. As if I wasn't there at all.
It's confusing.
It's disruptive.
It has altered my psyche.
I have the maturity and experiences of 7 years.
I possess advanced forms of knowledge, which I don't remember learning.
But in so many ways, I feel like a 7-year-old.

I can, I guess, relate to an artificially created life such as the ones in the film. They are capable, but also aware of their limited duration lifespans.

Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Mon May 13, 2019 2:33 am

mariehart1 wrote:It's funny how a whole year, 12 months, 365  days just disappears for the most part from our minds.
I think I am the oldest here at 72. Let me explain time to all of you: time accelerates the older you get.

"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesley Niyori Mon May 13, 2019 4:13 am

MichaelaSJ wrote:
mariehart1 wrote:It's funny how a whole year, 12 months, 365  days just disappears for the most part from our minds.
I think I am the oldest here at 72. Let me explain time to all of you: time accelerates the older you get.

Fully agree, seen it myself Smile

Actually, that's one of the FEW perks of my being 7 now. I DO recall time speeding up, apparently. 2000 to 2012 just flew past for him. So he said. Then life basically got reset, and now, time has slowed to a crawl. 2012 to 2019 has taken like forever. I thought 2014 would never end. I sure wish 2015 had happened faster. 2016 was so damned long. 2017 was mostly ok, nothing like GRS recovery to make a year seem lengthy eh. 2018 was more or less ok. Spring of 2019 had been some of the longest months of my life.

I've likely felt like I experienced at least double the life in the last 7 years, then in the previous 15.

Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Mon May 13, 2019 12:04 pm

Hi Everyone!

I don't know, but I just find the older I get, the less time I get to do meaningless stuff. The older I get the more I reminisce, bringing back memories I'd not thought of for many years.... yet the older I get, the harder it is to try to remember names, a year, the name of a film etc.... and then again, I know lots more stuff than I did before, it's a riddle!!! Though coz I keep busy, time is not racing away yet, I've got the Lesley Syndrome, the last decade or so has been a bit slowsy wozy, or seems so compared to my earlier decades!

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

https://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum