The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game of Thrones

4 posters

Go down

Game of Thrones Empty Game of Thrones

Post  Lesley Niyori Tue May 14, 2019 4:50 pm

If you haven't watched it.... it's the same as not having watched all of the Marvel sequence.

Kinda hard to imagine someone being that isolated actually.

The first 7 seasons are great, but ep 03 and ep 05 of season 8, might be as epic as LotR was ever capable of being.

I'm considering buying the series. I've never bought a TV series before. Not even SG1.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Game of Thrones Empty Re: Game of Thrones

Post  MichaelaSJ Tue May 14, 2019 11:13 pm

I know you are a Canadian lass, but something with fantastic production values that tells a story that helped develop both of our Countries.

Buy Lincoln (2012) (A bargain at $18.00)

Buy The Civil War: A Film By Ken Burns (Pricey at $45.00)

Buy John Adams (2008) miniseries (Blu-Ray $19.00)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Tue May 14, 2019 11:19 pm

Ooh they look expensive, especially as there is so much good stuff to watch.... I'll wait 'til they get on Netflix or tv and save my pennies, (I'm no miser though!!!!!),..... I do that with all the goodies, I'm patient, I wait.

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

https://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynAH Wed May 15, 2019 1:10 am

I don't want to be a downer. Or a Tolkienista but just no please don't compare that depraved soap opera to the work of Tolkien. While I think Tolkien is far from perfect and the movie adaptions only acceptable. I cried and felt uplifted so much more across his work than that GoT series ever has. Yes the production values are amazing for a series, some characters are pretty good. But it relies so very much on shock and spectacle I got numb long ago. Tolkien shines s light on what is the best in all of us even in the darkest places. GoT so often rolls in the dirt and normalizes and makes justification for horribleness. My sole hope is it all comes to naught and the winner is ruler of nothing but ashes.

Yes I am in a mood.... But I have tried to like this series for years because I couldn't escape it. And failed.
CarolynAH
CarolynAH

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesley Niyori Wed May 15, 2019 2:39 am

Don't worry dear, I was a Tolkienista before it was cool Smile

Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Wed May 15, 2019 4:20 am

There is a movie being plugged around my neighborhood outlining Tolkien's life - apparently from his high school days through whatever.

It has been said that the Trilogy was prompted by his experience in WWI. He went to Cambridge and didn't report for combat until his graduation.
One has indeed personally to come under the shadow of war to feel fully its oppression; but as the years go by it seems now often forgotten that to be caught in youth by 1914 was no less hideous an experience than to be involved in 1939 and the following years. By 1918 all but one of my close friends were dead.

"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynAH Wed May 15, 2019 8:02 am

I know, I had read every book including lost tales and the Silmrilian several times. Before his son started churning out books from his notes.

Though honestly I got rid of all my special UK edition hardbacks. And gave them to Liam after we broke up. It was something we shared that connected us through hard times. But another shore calls me. One day I hope he will choose to return them over tea. As the strong man he was always meant to be. And if I am lucky I will have a girlfriend by then and the kids making lots of noise around us. Maybe she will ask him what was Carolyn like before when you two first met? And I will watch with raised eye if he pulls out the Tolkien quote I think he will.

I won't read them and may never do so because that life, those books, are gone now likely to never return.
CarolynAH
CarolynAH

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 15, 2019 11:15 am

Lesley Niyori wrote:If you haven't watched it.... it's the same as not having watched all of the Marvel sequence.

Kinda hard to imagine someone being that isolated actually.

The first 7 seasons are great, but ep 03 and ep 05 of season 8, might be as epic as LotR was ever capable of being.

I'm considering buying the series. I've never bought a TV series before. Not even SG1.
Well you have met (virtually) someone that isolated. Ditto with the Marvel thing. It's circumstantial primarily I didn't avoid seeing it. The series is shown on Sky and I don't subscribe to Sky. So it never entered my orbit. But I would have watched it to some degree if it had. So most references to it go completely over my head.

I half considered buying the boxed set but I'd probably never watch it. My ability to suspend belief and enjoy things for what they are seems to have drained away. Pity really.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down