The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Intersectionality (stated well)

2 posters

Go down

Intersectionality (stated well) Empty Intersectionality (stated well)

Post  Lesley Niyori Tue May 14, 2019 5:47 pm

I'm not sure I like all of her videos, but she did this one well.

We need to stand up for the marginalized, within the marginalized.

I, for instance, am a white transgender female. I have white privilege regardless of any of my problems. I thus, don't have it as bad as a black transgender female. I was born into a male form. Regardless of how little I like it, I still started life with male privilege even if I am not really a male. So there are some ways where I had some advantages over a cis female.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Intersectionality (stated well) Empty Re: Intersectionality (stated well)

Post  MichaelaSJ Tue May 14, 2019 10:57 pm

Thank you, Lesley, for the youtube video. I didn't watch it all but got some good points from it.

Privilege, whatever descriptor you add, is the talk these days.

Besides hiding my transness for nearly 50+, I worked with and was worked against by many different privileges.

• I didn't go to the best school/University
  • My parents were not from the upper middle class
  • I was not religious
  • I didn't live in an upper middle class town
    But
  • I was white
    And
  • I was a male

I had to work really hard to get half as far as I did in business. I have told you about my last real estate project I put together. What I haven't told you was the entire senior management in my employer were graduates of the University of Southern California. Not me: I went to a small but very respected accounting college in San Francisco.

I got hired into this organization because my Wife's nephew knew what a good developer I was. He had creds because he went to Hastings Law School, a nationally recognized law school of the caliber of Stanford, Harvard and Yale, and superior to USC.

I like to relate that when I was presenting my last transaction (the one with the US Army) to the senior staff we had rented a conference room in Sacramento, CA. I knew they had hired an outside consultant with history with the US Army but I never met him until I walked into that conference room and there was the smallish black guy shuffling papers on the table. I did that instant double take look but afterward, this guy was the driving force to get my ideas in front of the Army.

So, why am I rambling???? Well, we all encounter privilege in some form as we go through our daily lives.

Rya, in her video, did a ven diagram (I love ven diagrams) where the intersection was trans/sexism. Well, life is the intersection of ven diagrams, isn't it? Isn't how you manage to get through your life, or simply your day is how you treat the intersection of those various privileges that are always, always there?

I personally have found it best for how I navigate my life to ignore privilege to the extent I can. Of course, I am never going to play golf at the Augusta Golf Course because I certainly lack the necessary privilege to get onto the course.

But I own the rest of the privilege I need to get through my day. I own my transness. I own that I dress androgynously. I own that some people will never accept me for who I am. Fuck 'em!

Own who you are. OWN WHO YOU ARE! You will never feel out of place, never feel small, never feel put upon IF YOU OWN WHO YOU ARE. Keep your own privilege in that bag you always carry around called your SOUL.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesley Niyori Wed May 15, 2019 2:42 am

Well said Miki

Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum