The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If I was a millionaire.

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

If I was a millionaire.  - Page 2 Empty Re: If I was a millionaire.

Post  Celia Eriksson Fri May 17, 2019 8:57 pm

Hi Marie!

I too find certain brogue quite hard to understand and some amusing. The far north Highland brogue, even when spoken slowly, then there is Northern Irish, certain counties such as Tyrone, when spoken quickly is very hard...

Then there is funny, Scouse is so funny to my ear and Black Country, Wolverhampton etc.... you must have heard of Noddy Holder, what an accent!!!! Norfolk can be quite funny too....

Here is the famous Singing Postman of Sheringham, Norfolk! Americans may be quite baffled by the accent and English used by an Englishman!

Celia Eriksson
Admin

https://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Fri May 17, 2019 10:06 pm

I read once that when French journalists interviewed the French Canadian Formula 1 driver Gilles Villeneuve they did it in English because they simply didn't understand his Quebecois.
I have to say the same problem with certain Irish accents not to say Scots accents which are nearly impenetrable.
I had a business partner who was from an aristocratic family in Bolivia. In fact, he was prior to moving to the States, the Minister of the Interior. Of course, he spoke Spanish as his first language.

I had several sub-contractors whose first language was Spanish but from Mexico and the American barrios. There was no way they understood each other.

Last edited by MichaelaSJ on Sat May 18, 2019 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 17, 2019 11:45 pm

Tara wrote:
mariehart1 wrote:
I have to say the same problem with certain Irish accents not to say Scots accents which are nearly impenetrable.
Truth! I once ordered a sandwich in a restaurant in Edinburgh. What was given me was not what I thought I ordered, and yet the young man asserted that it was, even though we were using what sounded to me like completely different words. I finally gave up, and ate it. It was fine.

And that wsn't even deep in the Highlands!
Best one ever. One of the lads with us was a Dublin. Well we er

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum