The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hollywood and my part in it.

Go down

Hollywood and my part in it.  Empty Hollywood and my part in it.

Post  Guest Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:21 pm

Alone at home, I'm watching what I like and I came across Fosse/Verdon which is about the relationship of Bob Fosse and Gwen Verdon. He directed Cabaret.

But it is very much about Hollywood and Sam Rockwell is a great actor. But it reminded me of my brush with Hollywood.

I was an extra in a film directed by Joel Schumacher starring Cate Blanchett made in Dublin. I did a full day with literally hundreds of extras which never made it to the final cut. I remember meeting two cute guys one Croatian one Italian. The Croatian told me he was only in Ireland a couple of weeks. I said that's amazing, two weeks and already in a Hollywood movie.

Later I was called back for a studio sequence. Close ups mostly. But it was quite intimate. Schumacher was there with a cute blond kid, young man I should point out. He got the kid into a couple of scenes but the kid was a bit clumsy and Schumacher said something along the lines of 'I didn't drag your ass over to Europe for you to screw up'. I thought that was so Hollywood. Later he regaled us with stories about Sharon Stone, who he clearly didn't like. I was loving it.

Not my only Hollywood moment. Julianne Moore is lovely.

I really enjoyed being an extra and I was good at it because of course pretending to be something I'm not was something I had a lot of practice of.

Good times.

Back to top Go down

Hollywood and my part in it.  Empty Re: Hollywood and my part in it.

Post  Celia Eriksson Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:33 pm

Hi Marie!

I remember us swapping stories of folk we knew, but working as an extra must have been very interesting to do. And all the name dropping from Joe, wow. That is amazing and intimate stuff.

The only star I knew well enough to drink with was Sherry Hewson. We knocked around with her, her husband Andy, at that time, and quite a crowd of us would trawl the pubs of Esher. I had lots of fun in those days. Gosh, it was a long time ago, early eighties I guess. I found her a very nice person and it was a shame to read her memoirs to see that she was not quite as happy as she seemed at the time..... but anyway a very nice person.

I'm hoping to retire, or at least semi-retire at 60, not long now, so I will be looking for buckshee work and being an extra could be good idea!!!.... the way it's been for me the last few years perhaps I could play a Vestal Virgin!!!!

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

https://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:06 pm

Oh yes Celia, you should definitely try it. There are a lot more opportunities in England There are several agencies looking for extras. A lot of people who are retired take part. You meet some fascinating people. I once met a former military pilot on set. Later I saw him on TV as an EU observer in a war zone. I also found out he was at JFKs funeral as an honour guard sent by the Irish army.
Then there's the actors. I found myself on George Gently with Martin Shaw yes Doyle from the Professionals. Never in a million years!!!
Yes long days and not much pay. But worth it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:05 pm

Sounds great! I will be signing up for that, especially seeing/meeting such stars..... who knows, I might find myself next to Benedict Cumberbatch in a super hot scene!!! Especially if he is like half naked and that..... I best take a moment. Ok, all well! But yes, I will do my antiques and a little side job too, perhaps working in a store, I don't want to keep working through nights to 66, it's not good for me at my age. Thanks Marie!

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

https://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:27 pm

Well I was in a scene with Benedict Cumberbatch not half naked but in an RAF uniform. He wasn't that famous then. But you could see he had something. It was that obvious.
All too often I met them before they were famous.
Danny Dyer for one.  Domhall Gleeson, Cillian Murphy in drag no less. Yum.
I could name drop forever. I worked with so many brilliant British actors often unaware of their later fame. Irish too naturally. Both always were approachable and free of arrogance. 
On a film or TV set, Celia everyone assumes you know what you're doing. Assume you've bought into the scenario. So you play along. You believe in it. You're in the moment. 

At that point you get an insight into what it is to be an actor. You live the role for a moment perhaps. Sometimes more. 

I remember a scene when the Barrister questioned me aggressively. I was a police sergeant. I actually got angry for real. 
No acting needed. We were in the moment. 

Definitely do it C.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum