The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One thing after another.... Pooh!

4 posters

Go down

One thing after another.... Pooh! Empty One thing after another.... Pooh!

Post  Celia Eriksson Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:35 pm

Hi Everyone!

So Helga is back, she only was at the car Doctor for today and is well again! Before that I'd enjoyed a great shopping day with my Cousin, I bought a really nice jacket and a Hollister t-shirt, I really like Hollister. Anyway, Im home and was really happy as usual with everything then went out into the hall whilst on the phone to a close friend when..... poof! All the bloody lights went out!!!!!!!

I know the trip switch thing coz an electrician had already showed me that when the sockets went out a long time ago. So I tripped it back up and it stayed up God, I'd thought and I tried all the switches, but nothing happened! Still ligts out, all of 'em!!!! I'm going to wait 'til morning coz I can't do anything now and I will check the bulbs, it's all I can do with electricicity.

I have four sidelamps that I have placed to light up every thing but the bathroom is the one I can't do anything about..... no sockets. I have five oil lamps and plenty of oil so I will have to employ one of them for bathtime.

And phone the electrician tomorrow! If it 'aint one thing it's another!!!!!!! Sad

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

https://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

One thing after another.... Pooh! Empty Re: One thing after another.... Pooh!

Post  MichaelaSJ Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:18 pm

So, right before Christmas my wife loses a top molar and dentist says the bottom molar is also bad - $5,800 for two studs (fortunately the crowns are covered).

I got a recall notice for my 2006 Porsche Cayenne and I take it to the dealer last week and they find that the fuel pump and a flange have melted (by what?) and not covered by the recall - $1,200.

I wake up this morning to no heat. I built this house in 1997 so the heater is 22+ years old HVAC guy coming later today - $XXXX

So..........I hope your electrician is gentle on your pocketbook!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:11 pm

Oh Miki!!!

Does it not all seem to come at once! Helga was only £107, the indicator thingy finally gave up the ghost after a colleague fix a couple of years ago and my Mother is quite ok now. And as for the houselights, hopefully I can change a marmalised bulb and who knows.... I hope it is not the break switch box thingy coz that looks expensesive.

Anyway, I hope her molars are fixed and that your boiler is something simple too. It never rains but it pours, but it is said that these things come in threes, well I have had my three, so it can only be good fortune now!!!!

Celia xx

Sorry Miki, you only have two, so I truly hope the three thing is not in actual of fact!!!!

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:08 am

The heater issue appears to be a loose connection - cost of service call to fix $197.00.

If it happens again then it is likely a relay in a control box - $900. The heater is 22 years old and it will be make more sense to get a more efficient heater - cost, who knows!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:22 am

Hi Miki,

Oh that box thing sounds quite similar or is it only for the boiler/heater? Are your heaters gas? (I don't mean petrol but l don't know what you call North Sea gas in the US), or is it electric?

Most homes have gas heating over here, but l have all electric and it is expensive, but efficient. My hall heater particularly. I was going to say that 22 years is quite old for a gas boiler/heater.

Anyway, I have taken breakfast and my ablutions, so now I am going to change my light bulbs in the hope the lights come on!!!!!!

It's a bit of a nuisance coz I wanted to get my grocery shop done this morning, but I'll let you know how I do.....

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:57 am

It is natural gas but 22 years old and not very efficient. The repairman told me I losing over 20% of the heat being generated up the flue - I believe him.

I suspect you have resistive heat for heat and water and yes. that will dig a big hole in your pocketbook.

4 years ago I installed 33 solar panels on my roof and with the offset of my power going back to the supplier my electricity bill last month was $11 but my gas bill was $240. It is time to start thinking about a heat pump. They are very efficient now and with my typically mild climate I would not need a gas addon for extra cold mornings. It was really cold last meaning it got down to 38°F or 3°C for those of us who don't speak American.

Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:39 am

Lights fixed!!! Twas a breaker thingy..... 5 minute and £85. It's so nice to be able to see what I am doing....  Rolling Eyes

Miki, I remember you telling us about your solar panels, quite amazing, coz $11 for a month is peanuts!!!!

But gas $240!!!???? That is a month? That is immense!!! Are you heating up the Avaya Stadium too?????

My bill is about £80 for all, no gas, but I do live alone I suppose. Water is £24 and local rates just over £100, (for refuse, street lighting, parks etc...). That's all my bills, (except phone and media £80), less than your gas bill!!! And it is, over all, colder here!

But Miki, you don't have to explain Fahrenheit to a Brit of a certain age, I still think temperature in it first and on weather reports, (always Celsius), find myself timesing out nine over five plus 32 to know how the temperature is going to feel.

I would say most think Fahrenheit for hot temperature and Celsius for low temperature, (due to media sensationalising of extremes), with the younger, -40 generations almost exclusively thinking in Celsius only.

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:27 pm

Celia Eriksson wrote:But gas $240!!!???? That is a month? That is immense!!! Are you heating up the Avaya Stadium too?????
No, it is just that I am home all day - these days.
Celia Eriksson wrote:I would say most think Fahrenheit for hot temperature and Celsius for low temperature, (due to media sensationalising of extremes), with the younger, -40 generations almost exclusively thinking in Celsius only.
Did you know that -40° F is the same as -40° C.

Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Lenneth Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:46 am

know the feeling, last year I lost my job, got another less than ideal job after several months of searching wich was 500 miles to the north, spent everything I had left to get here and my pickup had a major mechanical failure (Cracked Flexplate) which took another expensive part with it, got a loan from a relative wired to me for the repairs wich I have now payed back, but when you are broke even $1500 in repairs +$300 in car rental fees can break you.
Lenneth
Lenneth

Back to top Go down

Post  Abby Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:01 am

Heating is so expensive. Accounts for most of the energy bill. It does not help that my wife has a thing for cleaning cloths and the weather means it's the tumble dryer nearly every day. (Clothes horses make to much humidity which can make her ill if we get damp / spores. Which considering her low immune system nearly killed her this time last year it worth the cost of having the house warm @20oC. We just need to be greener else where.

To those who've survived: Breath. That's it. Once more. Good. Your good. Even if you're not, you're alive. That is a victory. Jemisin

I am dyslexic, and normally use a smart phone to interact with the world. So the words written may not be the words intended to be used.
Abby
Abby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum