The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The quest for eternal growth

5 posters

Go down

The quest for eternal growth Empty The quest for eternal growth

Post  Celia Eriksson Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:38 pm

It would appear, by the western reaction to a quite nasty virus, COVID-19, that deaths caused by it's spread is little more than collateral damage.

Why would I believe this? The outbreak in January was clearly quite dangerous and many called for complete shut down of international flights from China and stringent quarantine of anyone travelling from that region back to their homeland.

But, economic growth is more important, progress is more important. The death of the elderly, infirm, very young and those with ailments do not seem to be quite important enough for the foot to be taken off the gas pedal. It is quite barbaric.

Some say the virus has very low capability of causing death. Others say that it is being dealt with adequately. Which may or may not prove to be true.

The inaction of shutting a nation's movement down is callous, flights still arrive in many nations daily from China and Italy. And the problem is that a virus is quite capable of mutation. If not this one, then one day one will come that will kill mercilessly and the price of keeping the inscessent economic and progressive train going will be the final price paid for all. Let's hope this one does not prove to be the cost price. Man must learn to step back occasionally.

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

https://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The quest for eternal growth Empty Re: The quest for eternal growth

Post  Lesley Niyori Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:46 pm

Well put Celia.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth Lynn Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:08 am

From an epidemiology standpoint, the epidemic cat was probably already out of the bag by the time the first person died and they figured out what the causative pathogen was. Given people are contagious up to 14 days before they show any symptoms, it's pretty much impossible to find patient 0 before they've been in contact with enough people to spread the virus to lots of people.

With modern modes of travel, an aggressive, novel pathogen can make it around the world before it's discovered.

~ Liz
Elizabeth Lynn
Elizabeth Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:20 am

Wait, WAIT, WAIT,WAIT,WAIT!!
My President said, just tonight, that the U.S. will have zero cases in short order.

You know we must believe him, because he always tells the truth - Right! RIGHT!
The World Health Organization estimates that 2–3% of those who were infected died (case-fatality ratio). It is estimated that approximately 30 million were killed by the flu, or about 1.7% of the world population died. Other estimates range from 17 to 55 million fatalities.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu#Around_the_globe
Well, the current mortality rate for COVID-19 is ~2%. This can be deadly stuff if left unchecked.

The Dow Jones has lost over 2,000 points in the last three days over concerns re: COVID-19.

Some businesses are cutting back. Nestle has just stopped all international travel. A major trade conference, RSA, in San Francisco has lost some major sponsors (IBM, AT&T and others).

There is talk that the Tokyo Olympics are in jeopardy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:58 pm

Hi Miki,

I think it is dangerous, but maybe overplayed a little to start all that now, the horse has bolted. It would have been wise to step back at the start. It's too late now.. I worry about my Mother, for she is very frail and usually it sweeps through such places. I also worry for the very young.

I took my affluent Mother today to the very best dentist in Weybridge, a very rich Surrey town and he is, I was told, the best one there. She constantly complains about her dentures and I am hoping that this very fine dentist can finally solve it. His remedy, a new one, about a soft bottom to the sets that will not hurt her gums is actually less expensive than all the other expensive others we have been too. She has at least five sets made in the last five years.

It puts things into perspective for me, whilst I am not quite so well off, I do have my little reserves. But, I am expected to travel soon with my Sister-in Law for a holiday that I may well cancel. It is not expensive, in June, but I am trying to save enough for my rhinoplasty and I am getting close it's not a huge setback, but a setback it will be, for I know me, I will want to shop and it's just too tempting.....

But, whilst I always feel guilt abouty first world stuff and what I want for myself. At the same time I am pretty surprised at things that don't work. My sink leaked last night. Plumber £120. My indicators on Helga are playing up again, I already paid for them to be fixed... I refuse to be beat or ever downcast! I will always, always stay calm and thank heaven that I am lucky enough to be who I am....

It's true, I refuse to get 'wound up by first world problems, I am the meekest of the meek. But sometimes I believe those on Pacific Islands living half naked, with zero money, living off the land and sea have a better life than we... and as a by the by.... hey most probably will be the least likely to contract COVID-19 too coz they are strongest!

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

The quest for eternal growth Empty Coronavirus 1st UK death....

Post  Celia Eriksson Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:04 am

So it has begun, the UK is now over one hundred confirmed cases and the first person has died.... all could have been avoided with a draconian, Chinese style shutdown. But now it's on the loose. What would have been the problem with shutting down for two months for the warm weather to arrive?

Ok, the warm weather, does not stop it, but it will slow it down so much that it won't reappear until next Winter, a much less dangerous thing.... and a preventative will most likely have been found.

Well, if  do pop off this mysticical, magical, fantastical place and sully my mortal coil, and the Grim Reaper unjustly takes innocent liccle me, I can only say, que sera sera.....!!!!

I have lived a good, fun, happy, bizarre at times, tragical at others, life and I will have zero regrets!!!!! So be it! But I am not gonna worry about a liccle coronet shaped thingy attaching itself to my wotsit thingies!!!! No!!!!! No worrying here!!!! So anyway, I thou

The post ends here STOP.... Celia Eriksson is hiding under her desk STOP....

The quest for eternal growth Angelme

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesley Niyori Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:38 pm

Because in my usual blunt grim fashion, I tend to say things that no one else has the guts or the nerve to say....

If the world lost 1 billion humans, proportional to population density, would it actually be a bad thing for the planet?

We are close enough to 8 billion that it might be 8 billion.
We are likely 3 billion too many proportionally.
So while 1 billion would be horrible (especially if you are 1 of them), it wouldn't destroy our species.
Because 3 billion likely would help in a brutal fashion.

I have read that some believe, mother nature will just find a way to limit us when we reach about 8 billion. Which is because even if we could support 10 billion if we used our planet intelligently, the fact is, we are not that intelligent, and likely won't be any time soon.

China and India simply can't cope with their billions.
Europe is straining with their millions.
And even rich ole USA is unable to feed their entire population.

And a viral solution certainly isn't picky who it selects.
You might be able to hide effectively if you have enough money.
But money is a lousy inoculation at best.

I'm not wishing this to happen.
But I don't wish for volcanoes to erupt, forest fires to ignite, floods to flood and hurricanes to blow. Earthquakes to shake, and tornadoes to trash. But they do happen.

You likely have more risk of dying from climate change.
Or being killed in a car accident or a heart attack from obesity.
I'm currently more scared of Trump's or Ford's stupidity.
And stupidity tends to be humanity's greatest killer.
Because we humans are a gullible lot. We will believe anything without proof.

Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:12 am

Like, Lesley, I was not worrying too much, but now....

The quest for eternal growth Worriednow
(Yes sorry, I found this emoji selfie site.... SORRY!!!!!!!!}

I think the warm weather will stem it, it's gotta come asap! Maybe Global Warming will actually save a lot of people! In England there is already testing of an inoculation for it that is likely to be ready for next winter, the government is pushing it along. These things normally take five years minimum, but they are confident.

I agree with lots of what you say about population numbers and it has been inaction over at least fifty years to do anything about it. Ironically, it is only the Chinese that ever tried and succeeded to slow population growth! It is also amazing how they managed to stop the spread of this, even though it started there! And how on earth do they build a hospital in eight days????!!!

We have much to learn in the West....

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Supreme_Pizza Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:46 pm

We have alot of negative population growth in certain regions.

Two people can barely afford one child.

edit: What a Face
Supreme_Pizza
Supreme_Pizza

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum