The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

John Lewis

2 posters

Go down

John Lewis Empty John Lewis

Post  MichaelaSJ Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:00 pm

John Lewis, a man of small stature but of immense greatness died yesterday.

The following quote sums the meaning of his life:
“Make good trouble, necessary trouble. Seek justice,” John Lewis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

John Lewis Empty Re: John Lewis

Post  Celia Eriksson Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:41 pm

Hi Miki,

I have to admit, I knew not of him. From what I have read he seems a great man.

I just wonder though, is this an age of heroes? None here..... no..... I cannot think of one. All I see, in all western nations is career politicians who are only interested in one project, one vision, one goal......... themselves.

Tom, a British Army Captain who turned 100 recently and raised millions for the NHS is a hero, but he is no political being, bless his heart.

There sure is a lot of uncertainty in the world and the centre ground seems to hold fewer level headed people as politics in the west is shifting wider. The left and right is becoming increasingly further set towards the extremes of left and right.

The British Conservative party is perhaps the only counter to that, they have seized some of the middle ground here and if it were not for Boris' "Whack A Mole" attitude to government, they may have been able to grasp the middle ground fully. Perhaps they still will....

....because Labour has moved so far left, only a truly middle ground shift by the LibDems , giving them renewed impetus, a coalition of a LibLab variety might occur. Unfortunately, the LibDems are as leftist as Labour just now.

I think Joe will win in the USA, I did predict this long before Joe Biden was selected. I hope the Democrats grab that sensible middle ground and realise that they will be elected full power soon enough, by pissed off moderate Republican votersand do not bring a leftist agenda..

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

https://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:47 am

There was a sign at a rest stop somewhere in the Deep South (Mississippi[?]); it read 'Coloreds Only' the image of which is firmly etched in my then 10 year old memory when my Father took us on a tour of the US in 1955.

John Lewis made his bones during the '60s when he led the marches in Birmingham (AL, US), Selma, AL, Jackson, MS and New Orleans. He was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1986 and was still a member when he died. I, and most others familiar with who he was still consider him a fighter against bigotry rather than a politician. He was a friend, an active friend, of the LGBTQ community and sponsored several pieces of legislation in our favor

Lewis was one of the original "Freedom Riders": a group of whites and blacks riding in an integrated fashion to protest the segregated buses, rest stops, hotels and restaurants in the South. He was clubbed on the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, AL and had his skull fractured on what has become known as 'Blood Sunday'. He was arrested 40 times protesting Jim Crow law.

John Lewis stood with the leaders of the sixties marches against bigotry. Together with the Freedom Riders, he forged an alliance that came to be known as the Student Non-violent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) which became a favorite punching bag for J. Edgar Hoover (the early head of the FBI and a bigot amongst bigots). Lewis stood with Martin Luther King, Jr. and many others who would likely be unknown except to those who lived the '60s.

There is a good article on who he was and why his life is important @ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lewis_(civil_rights_leader). Please take the time to read about a good and great man.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum