The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's time for a change

3 posters

Go down

It's time for a change Empty It's time for a change

Post  Elizabeth Lynn Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:57 am

Since my wife died, along with modifying insurance policies and all the hundreds of administrative things involved when someone passes, I've been also making arrangements for my retirement.  I identified the end of next April as the day.

In truth, I wasn't sure I could make it that long.  Since my wife got sick, and especially after she passed, I've had very little energy and have not been performing to my customary level, and it's an increasingly arduous chore to get up each morning and work.

A couple of weeks ago, my boss and I were talking - the company has not been very successful in winning new contracts this year and it was clear a change in company size was looming.  I told my boss that if it came to laying people off, I volunteered to be the first in hopes that meant someone else who still needed a full income would continue.

That day came today.  In two weeks I am done.  though it's something I've planned for, and lusted for, and openly solicited, It still feels a tiny bit like being cast off.  My needy psyche I guess.  A little anxiety about will I really have enouh money for the rest of my life, however long that might be.

But, there's also a flickering, but growing flame of excitement about what comes next, and all the possibilities to do all those things I've not had time to start.  But still, this is about all the change I can handle this year.

~Liz
Elizabeth Lynn
Elizabeth Lynn

Back to top Go down

It's time for a change Empty Re: It's time for a change

Post  Celia Eriksson Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:10 pm

Hi Liz!!!

I have just retired, at 60!!!! And the one question you asked yourself gave me anxiety too... that is "do I have enough"? It can't be answered. Yes I have my pensions and I am doing my occasional selling at fairs, and I know that at 67 I will get the state pension.... but if I live to 90? I will most likely be poor before then.

But the freedom! The not having to rush around in the morning getting ready for work.... that is the best. It's the freedom to visit friends more, though that has been blighted a little by covid, I go shopping with my friends and relations much more. I can play golf and badminton when I want, watch that extra episode on netflix It's wonderful. I am working on supplementing my pensions a little by doing antique fairs, but that is quite enjoyable and fun!

It is just about one month and I would not like to go back to full time work one little bit......

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

https://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth Lynn Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:53 pm

I am looking forward to all those things! After a good night’s sleep, the anxiety is mostly gone and the excitement is growing. I have a lot to catch up with on my 1.24 acres after nearly a year of neglect, so that will most likely occupy the majority of the winter and next summer.

On my fantasy list is the idea of creating simple jewelry that is designed and proportioned for the transgender woman. Also hats. I so want a 1920’s vintage style wool or felt cloche for this winter. Sized to fit my head are desperately difficult to find other than hand/custom made offered on Etsy. Though they are a bit pricey, they are clearly high quality, so when I find the style I want, that will be my retirement gift to self!

~ Liz
Elizabeth Lynn
Elizabeth Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:50 pm

Liz, a good partnership brings its own energy. Losing your Wife, and now your job means you will have to reach deeper into your soul for all of that lost energy.

Rehabbing an acre plus of land, especially with winter approaching is going to be taxing on your body. Treat it well!

I was retired in a political move in 2012. I did not have a job that required much physical effort, but I really wanted to continue what I was doing. There is nothing comparable to getting signatures on a $90 million land acquisition, especially after a 35 month negotiation. But, alas that source of energy has passed.

Unfortunately, bad health has sidelined any future employment possibilities so I sit at home yelling at my TV.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum