The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Biting nails

3 posters

Go down

Biting nails Empty Biting nails

Post  MichaelaSJ Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:27 pm

It is 12:20 PST on November 4 and the election has not been called yet. Well, Trump has called it over, but it isn't and I am not watching the results. At least not watching every minute.

It is currently 238 Biden 214 Trump per HuffPro. Biden needs Nevade and Michigan to get past 270. I have every part of my body crossed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Biting nails Empty Re: Biting nails

Post  Celia Eriksson Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:51 pm

Hi Miki,

Well, Michigan is Biden's...... unless Trump gets Penn. NC and Arizona, which may yet get turned, by lawyers, or Winconsin by recount.... Joe has it.

I told ya you'd get Joe! I did, back way back when,  days of yore, in the olden times, when I was a mere slip of a Girl..... ok maybe not that long!!!! But long ago, long, long, long ago, I told you!!!!! The evidence is here... look back to very, very early this years posts, when there was about 30 Democrats wanting the nomination!!!!!!!!!!!! I said he'd be your next POTUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I said it would be Joe.... your gonna get Joe!!!!!

It's my superbical mysticicalness!!!!!! The Tarots, bones and ball of crystal never lie!!!!

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

https://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:14 am

This election is a FUCKING EMBARRASSMENT.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Celia Eriksson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Tara Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:48 pm

MichaelaSJ wrote:This election is a FUCKING EMBARRASSMENT.

This, among other things.

~*~ Tara

"Believe nothing you hear, and only one half that you see." — Edgar A. Poe
Tara
Tara

Celia Eriksson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:16 am

Hi Tara and Miki!!!

Don't feel too much that way.... it is not your fault. It is that the system you have is not fit for purpose anymore. IT needs changing. I know there are far worst democratic systems in the world, but yours is down there somewhere in the dodgykins area.

Change USA..... your POTUS voting system is outta date!

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:19 am

We have what is called an Electoral College that does the actual voting for the POTUS/VPOTUS. Each state is allocated a number of electors equal to the number of House members and the two Senate members. The total number of electors is 538.

The number of electors needed to elect a POTUS/VPOTUS is 270/538 (51.6%).

Currently, the total popular vote is 73,527,199 votes in Biden's favor  (50.46%) to 69,788,653 votes in Trump's favor  (47.89%). The popular vote margin as a percentage is likely to hold true to the end of the election in Biden's favor much as the popular vote was similar percentage in favor of Clinton in 2016.

The basic problem with the electoral college is that it favors the smaller states, mostly in the conservative middle and south of the United States. As I type this post, one site has Biden with 264 votes to Trump's 214. Nevada would be the most likely next state to be called (unofficially) and Nevada's 6 electoral votes will be Biden over the top with 272 (unofficial) electoral votes.

I say unofficial, inasmuch as the electors will not cast their votes until December 14, 2020 (my Daughter's birthday and I hope it is a happy one). Also, an elector(s) say from Nevada might want to change their vote, regardless of the popular vote in Nevada and if three electors change their votes, then Trump might win the POTUS.

To change from the Electoral College to a nationwide popular vote will require a Constitutional Amendment. This is a lengthy process and is started in either the House of Representatives or the Senate, but both houses must agree to the amendment by a 2/3rds vote, then the amendment is sent to the states where 38 of the 50 states (3/4s) must ratify the amendment for it to be added to the Constitution.

But, changing to a popular vote will mean those middle and southern states will lose their clout in picking the POTUS/VPOTUS and thinking they will give up their power is mostly certainly a folly.  

Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Tara Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:49 pm

Celia Eriksson wrote:Change USA..... your POTUS voting system is outta date!

It's true, and one can hope. But it's difficult to change, as there are entrenched interests in keeping it the way it is.

I think the best workable solution is for all the states to copy Maine and Nebraska, and allocate their votes to the delegates. It's not ideal, but it would be much closer to a reflection of the popular vote than what we have now. It also wouldn't require a constitutional amendment, as it would be a change at the level of the states. There is, in fact, a movement to do that very thing, with several states agreeing to do so, if a majority of other states do so.

~*~ Tara

Tara
Tara

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:29 pm

Hi Tara, Miki et al,

Yes, I get that, I do quite understand how the US system works, most intelligent Brits do. Now, I know I said I would keep out. And I will, I have no place to tell Americans who they should vote for or not.... it is up to you. I am pretty well middle of the road. For on one hand I am very much leaning for Green issues, I simply believe we need to look after the planet. I don't like globalisation either. Yet, I have voted Conservative before and now support the UK leaving the EU. I am a swing/floating voter. If I see good in a major policy, I will go with it.

So why am I back talking on the subject of the US elections once again? It is simply because I have watched as a change in American politics that is quite ugly, one only had to watch the televisual debates to realise that. Let's hope it will pass.

This speech highlights this. Listen to Presidential losing candidate John McCann's speech just 12 years ago and try and tell me that things have not changed for the worse, at both ends of the spectrum. Hopefully this kind of dignity will return one day soon....

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Tara likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:10 pm

I have a kept a copy of his concession speech on my Desktop and revisit it when I need to find solace knowing that we still have good men and women who want to move our Country forward and not backward.

I did not care for much of what John McCain represented, but HE WAS HONEST and he was a GOOD MAN.

Donald Trump called him a loser because he was captured when his A-4 Skyhawk was shot down over North Vietnam. He spent 5 and 1/2 years as a POW and refused a chance to go home early if he would make a statement against the United States.

When a vote came up in the Senate to overturn the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare), McCain voted by turning his thumb down - I think mostly to thumb his nose at Trump as much as to be a voice of reason. It was a true defiance of what he knew in his heart was the monster sitting in the White House.

When McCain died, Trump at first refused to fly our flag at half staff as we are wont to do after a notable dies. He did not attend McCain's funeral.

Donald Joseph Trump has turned half of my Country into something I do not recognize and it is so very, very frightening. I am fearful that knowing he has lost the election he will set one half of my Country against the other half and we will need to do all we can to stop a nascent civil war.

I only have a couple of years left, but my Wife, Son and Daughter will have to fend off what is certainly going to be a troubling time until the Nation as a whole decides to right itself and move forward as its once better self.

Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Tara Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:11 pm

Following up on what I mentioned above about the electoral college: Colorado voters approve compact seeking to neutralize the Electoral College

~*~ Tara

Tara
Tara

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum