The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I am still here...

5 posters

Go down

I am still here... Empty I am still here...

Post  MichaelaSJ Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:56 am

...I was watching a guy, Jonathon Pie (first time I knew of him) give what has got to be the most 'British' commentary regarding the disgraced Boris Johnson. It is a really good view at Boris Johnson takedown.

The best line from the rant was/is Johnson is like "A Shakespearean tragedy written by monkeys on typewriters."

I think I will be following Jonathan Pie.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

I am still here... Empty Re: I am still here...

Post  Elizabeth Lynn Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:16 am

How great to hear from you Mikki.

I’ll have to check him out, I could use some levity.

Hope all is going well for you.

~ Liz
Elizabeth Lynn
Elizabeth Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:45 am

Thank you, Liz.

It is thoughful (and exceedingly funny) commentary as in the link that salves my intelligence. There is so much turmoil in everyone's life, especially for those of us who actually do think and care about our future.

I am, healthwise, stable at the moment. I met with another pulmonologist (referred by my current guy) who may have some medical arrows in his quiver that could relieve some of the issues with my COPD. He wants me to enroll in a pulmonary rehab program so I can meet his threshold for going forward with some of his surgical/non-surgical programs.

His threshold is for me to walk 100 yards in 6 minutes. Some of you might think, 'what the hell - I can run 100 yards in 12 seconds'. Well, dear girlfriends, I am out of breath walking into my kitchen and I would love to be able to walk 100 yards even if it took me all afternoon.

I still care about my friends here and I will be dropping in from time to time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesley Niyori Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:42 pm

Glad to hear from you Miki.

Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:05 pm

The Monkey thing was parodied by a past favourite of mine, Bob Newhart. He wondered how it might be to have to proof read what the Monkeys wrote...

As for Boris, he has lost his job, which was expected... but who will take over is quite open. I do not have a favourite... none are statesmanlike to me....

It is nice to hear from you Michaela, l hope you get to do the 100 in half that time!!!

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

https://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:07 am

I remember the skit. Mr. Newhart is still with us at 93 years young.

Here it is on youtu.be: Bob Newhart and monkees

One of the first comedy clubs on the Left Coast used to host the likes of Newhart, Lenny Bruce, Mort Sahl, the Smothers Bros, and many others, most not worth remembering. The club was called the 'Purple Onion in San Francisco's North Beach. Even though the place served alcohol, l was sometimes able to sneak in even though I was barely 18 at the time. I saw Lenny Bruce and Mort Sahl before I had to ship out with the Navy in 1965.

Mort Sahl (look him up) was my favorite. He was a political commentator with a wicked, wicked punch at the right-wing of the sixties taking perfect aim at Nixon, Goldwater and the Birch Society.

Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariehart11 Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:37 pm

Well that is thst one first class rant. 😀 The lies finally caught up with Boris, or have they?🤔

I agree with you Celia, none of the others are leaping off the page as statesmen/stateswomen. The problem I think is that the Tories cleared out any dissenters to the Brexit line including a few who would be good leaders and PMs. Time will tell.

Interesting times as the saying goes.
Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth Lynn Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:23 pm

I finally got back to listen to the rant by Mr Pie and found it quite satisfying and completely applicable to our own national nightmare, also written by monkeys on typewriters.

One of my favorites is George Carlin’s bit titled “Stand up about religion”. Social commentary as applicable now as it was at the time. https://youtu.be/2tp0UNcjzl8.

~ Liz
Elizabeth Lynn
Elizabeth Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:38 pm

Thank you for the link, Liz.

Carlin gives a wickedly brilliant send-up of 'god(s)'.

I also found some good debating by 'Richard Dawkins exploding at bullshit in the Bible' at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTXN5nOstRs

Also, my favorite asshole Christopher Hitches gives a brilliant opening athttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRsaxXrjk3w while taking down the horrors of the catholic church.

Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariehart11 Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:16 pm

Now I'm no defender of religion. Least of all the Catholic Church of which I'm  a member whether I like it or not

But I  have a problem when I see British  criticism of the Catholic  Church. You see today is the 12th of July. Last night in Northern Ireland Unionists and loyalists, essentially colonists, occupiers and oppressers built giant  bonfires celebrating a victory against the English Catholic and rightful King James of England at the Battle of the Boyne and the defeat of the Irish and Catholics. Today they marched in triumph? Orange men in support of a Dutchman William of Orange who took the  throne of England.

They march to assert their  Protestant superiority over the Catholic Irish. Essentially to shove it in the face of the Irish  neighbours who share their  septic province.

So yes I  don't  like the  Roman Catholic  Church but I  don't  like  foreigners in my country pretending they are superior to us because of our religion or nationality.

Imagine if your country had people who considered you inferior and deliberately tried you put you in your place.

Now none of this should be interpreted as being anti British or English. My best friend is English but of course these people are neither.
Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesley Niyori Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:52 am

Being of the Gunn clan (Northern Scotland) and Scottish, yeah, I agree, damn British Smile

Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:49 pm

I am still here... Moment10

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariehart11 Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:17 pm

Well I got carried away. But I hate any bigotry and secrertanisn. There was plenty in evidence on the twelfth. Hanging effigies of Irish politicians. Burning flags and later attacks on the police and trying to attack Irish people.
This stuff is rarely reported in Britain. The British by and large are simply unaware of the sheer intolerance of some of the people who call themselves loyalists and British.

So yes criticism of the the Catholic Church is perfectly fair but in Northern Ireland it's political and an excuse for violence and intolerance. If you've seen Sir Kenneth Branagh's movie 'Belfast' you might have an insight.

I hate intolerance of any colour.
Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:43 am

I agree, it is unacceptable behaviour and l understand the frustration Marie. Don't worry, l am not upset, even though l am half British.

British, by the way Bunny, includes the Scottish...

...in fact the Northern lrish Protestants, to which Marie refers, are mostly of Scottish descent.

But, l have to say that the majority of Northern Irish are quite peaceful and abhor such behaviour, which brings hope.

... and there are, after all, two sides of the coin....

...for there are two extreme, minority, factions existing in Northern Ireland....

This is not to excuse the Unionists behaviour, it is awful. Quite how to reconcile the two is beyond the finest minds. Generally though things generally are much better now, mainly due to the Nationalists having become far more peaceful than in past times... the Unionists need to take a leaf from their book and quieten down.

Let us hope such scenes on the 12th become history, because William lll lived a long, long time ago, and is ancient history, he is long past gone and should be long past forgotten.

Time should be for the now and the future and for peace.

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesley Niyori Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:58 pm

Hehe, never tell that to a Scot.

I come from a long line of Scottish cattle rustlers. Stealing from the English is a noble thing.

"British' is an English idea.

I'm still angry about Mary.

Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum