The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pride events

4 posters

Go down

Pride events Empty Pride events

Post  Lesley Niyori Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:53 pm

Pride, it tends to be an LGBT event, and tends to scream out homosexual event in the minds of society.

I ain't homosexual. All Pride is to me, is a chance to interact with other transgender persons.
Which tends to require them to be 'out'.
And I know of more in the closet transgender locals my physical age, than out ones.
So Lindsay Pride in the Park seems to be more about Lesley being her usual only one in the crowd self when it comes to being transgender.

I kinda missed a great opportunity this year, but I will sure be ready next year (with things to sell during Lindsay's Pride week).

I've made a lot of nice bracelets so far. And I'm hoping to sell some of my art. It's just landscape art, but so what. It's nice to get chances to advertise myself as an artist and not just a transgender female.

Here's a shot of what I have made at the moment.
3 sizes of the bracelet, they use a thread wrapped elastic so they expand to slip over your hand.
The ones on the bottom row are my own personal set. Made the necklace to use up remaining scrunchies. I used hair scrunchies for the colour fabric pieces. You can't read it, but the one sitting inside the necklace has coloured letters spelling my name using what is normally meant for babies Smile

Pride events 20180708_084255

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Pride events Empty Re: Pride events

Post  Lucy Catherine Schoon Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:44 pm

I'm currently at the Manchester trans pride event, sparkle.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Love is natural,  hate is taught.... Like a Star @ heaven
Lucy Catherine Schoon
Lucy Catherine Schoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:44 pm

Too hot for all that, a bit glad I did not go.....

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/calls-london-pride-organisers-resign-12879839
Anyway, London 'aint my kinda town. I go to the Brighton Festival sometimes, but unfortunately my shift rota says no this year. Celia xxx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

https://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:38 pm

I am troubled, not with the event, but with the term 'pride'.

Am I proud to be an American - no, I was born an American and I have no choice, hence no pride in the fact.

Am I proud to be a transwoman - no, my life's turns and twists made me into who I am and simply surviving this far does not give me pride.

Pride is a term handed out too much for not doing anything except for being at the right place at the right time and facing the right way.

I take pride in raising my family and my marriage.
I take pride in some of the work I have done.

"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesley Niyori Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:09 pm

MichaelaSJ wrote:I am troubled, not with the event, but with the term 'pride'.

Am I proud to be an American - no, I was born an American and I have no choice, hence no pride in the fact.

Am I proud to be a transwoman - no, my life's turns and twists made me into who I am and simply surviving this far does not give me pride.

Pride is a term handed out too much for not doing anything except for being at the right place at the right time and facing the right way.

I take pride in raising my family and my marriage.
I take pride in some of the work I have done.

Holy shit, someone finally has said the same thing as me Smile

Yeah, I was born Canadian, and white and transgender. If anyone gets to be proud it's my mom, she raised me. So even though I wasted 50 years prior to me becoming real, I was still raised the way I was, and I think it mattered. So mom gets to be proud of her transgender daughter's behaviour.

I'm proud of my accepting 23-year-old son who is ok calling me mom even though he grew up thinking I was a dad. Because I raised him right I suppose.
I'm proud of my YouTube videos, I took the time to be brave on the world stage.
I'm proud of the article I was in inside the local paper.
I'm proud of how I have handled myself in the local town.

When I go to Pride, I do it proud I have the strength to be openly real. Because it DOES take a lot of strength and bravery to be openly transgender even inside of an accepting community. Because there is no shortage of NOT friendly places even in supposedly nice countries like Canada. It isn't perfect here. But thankfully we have made it illegal to be hateful. If someone wishes to be discriminatory to me in Canada, well, I'll see them in court eh.

Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:04 pm

Lesley, Miki,

I agree with you both, but the Brighton event is a lot of fun, there is so much going on there. I will go, God willing, whenever I can. But, I am totally with your feelings about 'pride'.

Celia xxx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

https://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:41 pm

I think you need to remember it's called pride because it's the opposite of shame. It's like the term gay being co-opted by the homosexual community to get away from the shame of being homosexual.

Remember being gay or trans is something many of us are ashamed of or were ashamed of. The idea of a pride parade is to lose the shame and simply say 'Yes I'm gay or whatever and I'm proud.'

Now if being gay or trans was something that is totally acceptable and for most people a non issue. Then there would be no need for a pride parade or a need to emphasise that being gay is not something to be ashamed of.

That's the reason for the term. I have to say I'm slightly surprised that someone who are gay or trans doesn't get that. I've heard it from straight people. They say 'Why don't we have a straight pride day?' They're just displaying their ignorance and often bigotry.

Well the answer is simple. Were you ever persecuted for being straight? Do straight people get beaten to death for being attracted to the opposite sex. Do you feel shame for being attracted to the opposite sex. Are you discrimated against for being straight. Was it ever against the law to be attracted to the opposite sex.

Obviously not.

So yes take pride in who you are not shame. But watch your back the bigots haven't gone away now despite the perception that being gay is mainstream. Its not, it's tolerated, that's all.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum