The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Name reaction

5 posters

Go down

Name reaction Empty Name reaction

Post  Tara Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:08 pm

There's a guy in the office whose name is my birth name. I have caught myself more than once turning to respond when someone addressed him by name. Given that the name is a common one, this has happened to me a few times in other places, too.

This is despite over eight years of transition. It's hard to unlearn half a century of habit!

On the other side of the coin, I generally respond quickly to my chosen name, so that's good. Better than standing around thinking "I wonder who they're talking to." Laughing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~*~ Tara

"Believe nothing you hear, and only one half that you see." — Edgar A. Poe
Tara
Tara

Back to top Go down

Name reaction Empty Re: Name reaction

Post  Lesley Niyori Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:21 pm

I altered my spelling. But Leslie or Lesley, it pretty much sounds the same. Robert to Roberta was also not much of a change.
My new maiden name was a big thing for me though.

I never hated my name for the most part. And several years of people thinking my name was a girls name was interesting too.

I hated my previous occupant, not so much the name.
I went to Lesley so that in print form I could make a distinction.

In retrospect, I probably should have gone to a full-on change.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:40 am

That is one of the reasons I chose Miki/Michaela. I'll not change my surname as that is something that belongs to me - my family history and I see no reason to toss it to the curb.

"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Abby Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:20 pm

Umm, my old name is very common (both first and surname are in the top 5 ), so kind of got used to not responding in a non work environment. Although saying that I sometimes hear it mumbled some times there , normally when some one says some thing and leaves. I don't know if I am miss hearing or not, and don't want to appear a deaf and grumpy cow by asking what they said. Depends on my level of paranoia and angisty that day.

To those who've survived: Breath. That's it. Once more. Good. Your good. Even if you're not, you're alive. That is a victory. Jemisin

I am dyslexic, and normally use a smart phone to interact with the world. So the words written may not be the words intended to be used.
Abby
Abby

Back to top Go down

Post  Jehanne Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:37 am

I use both names at work -- I usually call myself "Dawn" but if some calls me "Don", it's no big deal.

Jehanne

Back to top Go down

Post  Tara Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:51 am

Jehanne wrote:I use both names at work -- I usually call myself "Dawn" but if some calls me "Don", it's no big deal.

Depending on where you live, those two names may be pronounced the same, or completely different. I would not pronounce them the same.

~*~ Tara

"Believe nothing you hear, and only one half that you see." — Edgar A. Poe
Tara
Tara

Back to top Go down

Post  Jehanne Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:58 am

It's kind of strange -- sometimes one person will call me "Dawn" while speaking to me, and a few days later they'll say, "Don".  I can, however, tell the difference; I don't want to "correct" them, as my boss is actively looking for excuses to fire me as it is.  In fact, I have a formal HR action happening right now against me at my office; it's been going on now for over 2 months.  I go into work every day thinking that I am going to get canned.  (Maybe today will be the day?!)

Jehanne

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesley Niyori Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:54 am

That level of poisonous paranoia will actually harm you, dear.

Spend the time to find another job before the process erodes your health in a more serious fashion.

I speak from experience. I once had a no account, worthless excuse of a job, but it was all I had, and it paid the bills. The boss regularly and routinely moaned and complained about the expenses of staff and how they might not be able to remain in business. I let it get to me to the point I had a nervous breakdown. I missed a shift and arrived the next day with a doctor's note to find I had been pink-slipped out of a job. The thing is, ditching that job was actually a good thing. It forced my hand and led to me finding out about an entrepreneurial course that taught me I was perfectly suited to running my own business.

That workplace is likely never going to be good for your health and is likely one without any future.

Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  Jehanne Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:01 am

Yeah, I can't give out too much ("they're watching!") information, but some big changes are happening at my office, maybe, a management shuffle.  But, yeah, I appreciate your words so very much!!!

Smile

Jehanne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum