The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sooooo if you had no way to get on to the internet (long term)

3 posters

Go down

Sooooo if you had no way to get on to the internet (long term) Empty Sooooo if you had no way to get on to the internet (long term)

Post  Lesley Niyori Thu May 24, 2018 1:07 pm

I'm just curious, how much of your transgender life is dominated by your internet needs?

I'm very dependent on Facebook.
I tried once to turf internet in the home. Partly I wanted the 50 bucks a month back, but partly I just wanted all those lost minutes back. And considering how many dollars here and a dollar there I was spending in a month, it became plain, might as well be paying for internet.
But the real nuisance was my dependency on Facebook. And I couldn't come up with a meaningful reason to deny myself the contact.

The thing is, if I couldn't have internet for any reason, I'd still be able to go to any internet cafe.
But the most important reality, is I do actually have local friends.
What's troublesome though, is most of my in-person contacts are specific times of the month limited, or specific times of the day limited.

I'm not in school, so I don't have that angle. And I don't work (and that's including volunteer), so I don't have that daily exposure to people. My being transgender isn't what limits my contact. It's my health limitations. Being transgender is just one of many aspects of my life. I use the internet to find other transgender people, but, my being transgender isn't what keeps me isolated.

Without my being on the internet, my health is going to be a larger factor in feeling lonely than my being transgender. Because it isn't being transgender that has me feeling isolated at home when offline.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Sooooo if you had no way to get on to the internet (long term) Empty Re: Sooooo if you had no way to get on to the internet (long term)

Post  Guest Fri May 25, 2018 4:51 am

Not much at all. The internet has merely become a tool for high quality information curatorship for me; before access became ubiquitous it was me and books.

Back to top Go down

Sooooo if you had no way to get on to the internet (long term) Empty Re: Sooooo if you had no way to get on to the internet (long term)

Post  Celia Eriksson Fri May 25, 2018 7:10 am

Hi Lesley & Rhianne!

I am a relative newcomer to the personal computery world, I first used them at work and was not enamoured by anything about them. Then the internet came and many times saw friends using them and showing me stuff that excited them but did little for me. I also took elementary courses on them at work and found it all rather boring Sleep , though useful for work. Then someone asked if I wanted their old one about 2010. I had seen youtube and thought it was nice to be able to listen to songs of so long ago. So I said yes and got internet too.

Well, I was very pleased with it, I now have a little laptop and also a tablet. I tend to use the tablet for reading books study and this nice little laptop for youtube, ebay and this. I find it is very good for writing letters and a book too. It is wonderful for looking up information, weather, news and things I want to know about from that flower flower I saw, to where is Timbuktu elephant ! ...and ok, I'll admit it, it's nice looking at buff guys Embarassed .....

I have the advantage that I studied for and took Pitmans typewriting exams at school and am quite proficient at typewriting and I soon got used to doing a myriad of things on computers. Now I think I'm quite good at it all, self learning a lot of stuff a millennial would say was basic!

I could, I guess go back to being without one, I spent most of my life without a personal computer or tabby, but given the choice, I'll keep them!   cat

Celia Eriksson
Admin

https://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesley Niyori Fri May 25, 2018 10:42 am

Interesting thoughts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 25, 2018 6:40 pm

@lesley the CRTC (and many other foreign comparative organizations) ruled that "highspeed" internet is a requirement to navigate today's world. So while the internet is not necessarily dominated by me being trans, my life certainly is.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaibeth Fri May 25, 2018 9:48 pm

I am homebound, for the most part. I do get out and play music with Tim the Guitarist now and again. But 98.6% of my social life is behind this keyboard. And I have no regrets. Well, except MAYBE not getting to hug my boyfriend because he's 3,000 miles away behind his own keyboard. So, I hug my partner instead. And yes, she knows about him.

Wow, Kai, way to stay on topic.

Sooooo if you had no way to get on to the internet (long term) 39208

Sugar and Spice and Puppydog Tails
Kaibeth
Kaibeth

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 31, 2018 6:28 pm

My sister in law and here daughter arrived unexpectedly recently. Her wifi and TV had gone down and they didn't want to miss 'Britain's got talent' even though we're Irish.

Anyway I chatted to her and we remarked that the internet once was something 'nice to have' but is now essential. Certainly for her as a head of department in the university she need it at home too. It has essentially become a utility like electricity and water.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down