The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New SCOTUS Case

2 posters

Go down

New SCOTUS Case Empty New SCOTUS Case

Post  MichaelaSJ Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:55 pm

SCOTUS To Review Whether Federal Sex Discrimination Law Protects LGBTQ Workers
WASHINGTON, April 22 (Reuters) - The Supreme Court on Monday agreed to decide whether U.S. law banning workplace discrimination on the basis of sex protects gay and transgender workers, as the conservative-majority court waded into a fierce dispute involving a divisive social issue.

At issue in the high-profile legal fight is whether gay and transgender people are covered by Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which bars employers from discriminating against employees on the basis of sex as well as race, color, national origin and religion.
I will follow this case and report on it as best I can.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

New SCOTUS Case Empty Re: New SCOTUS Case

Post  Celia Eriksson Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:33 pm

Hi Miki,

Do you think they are saying this because they want to remove the rights? It sounds a bit vague like they are trying to remove LGBT people from those rights? Yes, keep an eye on it and let us know, it sounds worrying for you guys.

We have quite some protection, once claiming protection from discrimination, upon the simple disclosure of sensitive information, that being a declaration of one's homosexuality, being a transgender person, or of being non-binary. It is now illegal for employers to discriminate upon us, and that also includes those that are not 'out'. For that includes the right not to disclose any information we choose not to reveal to employers in the UK, I chose to disclose nothing extra, apart from the obvious, for it should not come with all the 'ins and outs of a Cat's bum'.

I would, were I feeling devilish, (which I never do, so I actually won't), advise straight cis people, if they are not worried what HR departments may think about them, to declare this.... it would increase their rights greatly against unfair dismissal.

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

https://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:08 am

The argument if FOR inclusion of LGB...T folk in the umbrella coverage of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

I think there is more than a little wiggle room for a conservative SCOTUS to rule that the Act does not specifically include LGB...T people and therefore we as LGB...T folk do not have rights under this Act.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down