The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Veterans Administration Update

2 posters

Go down

Veterans Administration Update Empty Veterans Administration Update

Post  MichaelaSJ Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:36 am

The VA has just (May 23, 2018) updated their interpretation of regulations regarding Veteran's gender expression. This is mostly a rehash and update of definitions, but it does add a Self-Identified Gender Identity (SIGI)
Self-Identified Gender Identity (SIGI) is a field in the VA records which refers to how Veterans think about their gender. Veterans may choose from a set of responses which include male, female, transman, transwoman, other, or the individual chooses not to answer.
This is important to me as I can simply request my VA records to identify me a transgender woman whereas before I had to jump through the hoops of doctors and court records.

This update is important mainly for its focus on us, the transfolk who put their butts on the line for their country. Unfortunately, it does nothing for those veterans who want to have GCS/GRS.
Gender confirming/affirming surgeries (also referred to as sex reassignment surgeries) include any of a variety of surgical procedures (including but not limited to vaginoplasty and breast augmentation in transgender women and mastectomy and phalloplasty in transgender men) done simultaneously or sequentially with the explicit goal of gender transitioning. Not all transgender or intersex individuals want gender confirming/affirming surgeries.
At least it does not limit hormonal or psychological treatments (as I a sure there are members of the administration and Congress who would want to restrict what we can receive.)

The following is a link to the new document:https://www.va.gov/vhapublications/ViewPublication.asp?pub_ID=6431

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Veterans Administration Update Empty Re: Veterans Administration Update

Post  jentay1367 Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:39 am

That's wonderful Miki. It seems things are moving forward in this Country despite the myopic leadership.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everything you want is on the other side of fear

jentay1367

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:58 pm

I am very concerned (and so is the VA staff I have questioned) that the Trump administration will force a privatization of the VA and a significant reduction (also known as cost savings) to the program.

If you want to reduce VA costs, stop making Veterans. Easy Peasy.

"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down