The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I finally stopped Finasteride

3 posters

Go down

I finally stopped Finasteride Empty I finally stopped Finasteride

Post  Hello_Its_Me Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:38 am

I was taking finasteride for a little over two years, it was a generic form and I didnt know the difference. Although being on HRT for 3 years has gave me better hair, I didnt feel I was getting much from the FIN, I was getting horrible mood swings esp when I started cycling Progesterone. I began full time progesterone and that helped with the moods, but I still seemed to be doing alot of shedding and not much growing. I decided a little over a month ago to stop FIN, I tapered down for 2 weeks and almost instantly saw benefits. My hair seemed to start growing in, my skin is so much softer, my remaining facial hair is dissipating at a much faster rate. My bewbs have starting growing again after being dormant for 6 months. I definitely feel my progress has been turned up a notch by stopping the fin.

Hello_Its_Me

Back to top Go down

I finally stopped Finasteride Empty Re: I finally stopped Finasteride

Post  MichaelaSJ Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:27 am

Progesterone is notorious for mood swings. I would discuss not using it with your endo person as the benefit is often overstated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Abby Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:58 pm

I have been on finasteride now for a year, been effective as I am now at 3.2 nmol. Was looking at different meds to reduce testosterone but they are more expensive and higher risk, also there is evidence that some others can reduce final breast size satisfaction (smaller voobs). What I have read in the science journals is the progesterone is not overly effective when side effects are included. But only seen small studies so it's not conclusive. Basically effects everyone differently.
Abby
Abby

Back to top Go down

Post  Abby Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:04 pm

I found that hormone patches made me have mood swings a lot, but more stable on gells.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those who've survived: Breath. That's it. Once more. Good. Your good. Even if you're not, you're alive. That is a victory. Jemisin

I am dyslexic, and normally use a smart phone to interact with the world. So the words written may not be the words intended to be used.
Abby
Abby

Back to top Go down

Post  Hello_Its_Me Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:36 pm

I used to be on Spiro and Estradiol alone, my first doc suggested Fin as I was concerned about hair loss. I was open to try it and didnt think much of it. My hair did improve some, but would it have regardless is the question. I did great with no mood swings for quite a while. I learned of progesterone and wanted to add it to my regimen and asked my latest doc and although they said "no evidence, yada yada" I started it. I cycled first and fairly quickly noticed my progress got a boost, but then the mood swings came. I then tried full time progesterone and this lessened the swings, but were still prevalent. Again another boost in progress... I found some research on the mixing of progesterone and fin causing mood swings ( stating that this is one reason it is not recommended for women) I also learned that many people on generic fin werent seeing hair growth and many saw excess shedding, which I seemed to be getting. My pharm switched brands and at that point I decided to just get off of it. Again, 3-4 weeks without has seen my greatest fem progress to date. But again, I just passed my 3 year mark where would I be with just estradiol and spiro? Who knows.... and Im only using the data that I have unearthed via the web... I dont know everything and dont claim to, I just wanted to share my experiences, in case others find themselves in a similar boat.

Hello_Its_Me

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:08 am

I forgot the OP was about Finasteride, ooops!

When I first came out to my doctors, my VA PCP offered me Finasteride as a way to step into HRT. I have mild kidney issues and could not take Spironolactone. Later, my VA endocrinologist offered Lupron (Leuprolide) which is a chemical castration drug and is administered twice yearly as a depot injection. My testosterone was never high, to begin with, but eventually, my T load has gotten down and stayed at <5 ng/dL.

Finasteride is primarily used as an antiandrogen to treat for PSA related issues and also as a hair loss preventive. (A word of caution, having too many doctors can lead to erroneous medication use. As I was on Finasteride, my cardiologist assumed my PCP had prescribed it for prostate issues and added Doxazosin for my high blood pressure. Doxazosin is also used for prostate issues and I was peeing 5 and 6 times in the early morning totally effing up my sleep. I stopped the medication [with his knowledge] and the other two blood pressure medications I take are doing just fine for me.)

I have a full head of hair at 72. My Father died at 93 a decade ago with a body heavy with hair and a mop to die for. I am fortunate in that he didn't pass on the body hair gene and I kept the head gene.

I had my hair styled yesterday and it was fun to have the various stylist fawn over my silver gray strands.

"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down