The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Airlines will add new gender options for non-binary passengers

4 posters

Go down

Airlines will add new gender options for non-binary passengers Empty Airlines will add new gender options for non-binary passengers

Post  Michi Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:12 am

Did everybody read this?

Michi

Back to top Go down

Airlines will add new gender options for non-binary passengers Empty Re: Airlines will add new gender options for non-binary passengers

Post  MichaelaSJ Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:05 am

Try:
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/gender-options-airline-passengers-trnd/index.html?ref=hvper.com

I haven't flown in a while and I don't remember have to 'genderize' myself when buying a ticket. Does anyone else have a different experience?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Airlines will add new gender options for non-binary passengers Empty Re: Airlines will add new gender options for non-binary passengers

Post  Tara Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:09 pm

MichaelaSJ wrote:Try:
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/gender-options-airline-passengers-trnd/index.html?ref=hvper.com

I haven't flown in a while and I don't remember have to 'genderize' myself when buying a ticket. Does anyone else have a different experience?

I typically fly two or three round trips to various places each year. Yes, it's been required for the last several years. It triggers a mild bout of dysphoria every time I purchase a ticket.

The TSA splits the security duties in US airports, so the first TSA agent encountered compares the ticket to government issued ID, and sees the gender markers on both. I have never had a really negative experience there, but I have had a bit of awkwardness, as the agent does a mental contextual change on seeing that. This proposed change wouldn't help that, until I get my government ID changed.

The agents operating the screen equipment do not see the documentation, and so I seldom have any issue there being treated as female. The proposed change wouldn't make a difference there.

The real problem has popped up at the gate, on boarding, when the scanner displays the information from the ticket on a large screen, where the airline gate agent sees it. Most of the time they are too busy to really notice, but on occasion I have been addressed loudly with a 'thank you, sir!' after that display came up. The proposed change could make a difference there.

Here's hoping this change is implemented with input from people who are actually affected by it.

The biggest help would be getting my name and gender marker changed on my government IDs (driver's license, passport, Social Security), but I have not yet done that primarily for personal familial reasons. Meanwhile, this

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~*~ Tara

"Believe nothing you hear, and only one half that you see." — Edgar A. Poe
Tara
Tara

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesley Niyori Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:39 pm

Canada is thinking of taking gender OFF of our ID thus making it not a detail.

Interestingly enough, I WANT my gender on my ID though.

I suppose a NB wants that X as well.

The amounts of times I expect to be going through an international checkpoint is so low, I'm not planning to worry about it unduly.

Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down