The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A very off-the-wall question

4 posters

Go down

A very off-the-wall question Empty A very off-the-wall question

Post  MichaelaSJ Wed May 08, 2019 10:40 pm

I was reading an 1821 Supreme Court case about the Sergeant-at-Arms of the Congress arresting someone who defied an order of the House to appear before the House and in the body of the opinion was the following term:
&c

I did a web search and the closest I came to an answer involved the following:
... wise precaution to see that the bath-room [sic], &c., when it is used is well ventilated.

Does anyone have an idea of what '&c" means?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

A very off-the-wall question Empty Re: A very off-the-wall question

Post  Lesley Niyori Thu May 09, 2019 12:24 am

etc means et cetera

used at the end of a list to indicate that further, similar items are included.
"we're trying to resolve problems of obtaining equipment, drugs, et cetera"
synonyms: and so on, and so forth, and so on and so forth, and the rest, and/or the like, and/or suchlike, and/or more of the same, and/or similar things, et cetera et cetera, and others, among others, et al., etc.; informaland what have you, and whatnot
"you need wellingtons, raincoats, umbrella, et cetera"
indicating that a list is too tedious or clichéd to give in full.
"we've all got to do our duty, pull our weight, et cetera, et cetera"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  Tara Thu May 09, 2019 2:05 pm

Interestingly, the ampersand, &, was originally formed as a ligature of the e and t in the Latin word 'et', meaning 'and'. While it has become more stylized in most fonts, it can still be seen in some modern fonts, such as Trebuchet.

This should display the Trebuchet version of ampersand correctly, if your computer has that font: &

~*~ Tara

"Believe nothing you hear, and only one half that you see." — Edgar A. Poe
Tara
Tara

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Thu May 09, 2019 3:54 pm

It is very old and comes from Roman times..... et cetera is written with the ampersand and a 'c'. Like this..... &c …… that's different from just...… & …… as Tara correctly states meaning 'and'. The two have different meanings.

So fun question...… can you make a phrase where the word 'and' or an ampersand can be legitimately used in a sentence in English and make sense, no less than five times in a row?

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

https://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Thu May 09, 2019 4:53 pm

That is the problem, it is a legal abbreviation of some sort and is more than just the ampersand and the letter c.

Oh well, it will become a mind burrowing worm (like an earworm).

"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Thu May 09, 2019 5:04 pm

So I looked up it's legal usage and it is actually a mine field, but I cannot find the use of it meaning et cetera without the c added. Upon it's own it has some very complex meanings that I have no wish to plough through and I may well come up with it being used so, but for all intent and purpose et cetera is written &c as far as I can ascertain and recognised so, we need a legal eagle to answer!!!!!..... whoooooo I sound very intellectyall there don't I?!!!!!!

Anyway Miki, come on answer the fun questie….. five 'ands' in a row!!!!!!

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Thu May 09, 2019 6:45 pm

I once sat for the CPA exam (Chartered Accountant in the UK) and it was a five-part/two and a half day exam. The only part of the exam I passed was Business Law - HAH!

I will keep on looking.

Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Thu May 09, 2019 11:50 pm

Oh well, lost hope is mine! I sail on the Good Ship Despair through the Cruel Sea of Ethereal Muteness and get Shipwrecked Upon the Wretched Rocks of Voicelessness……. Woe to me as I Thrash About The Thalassian Throng of The Wailing Sirens of Desolateness!

Embarassed Ahem..... I will reveal the puzzle as nobody...… wait …. or should I? Should I not leave you seated upon the Benign Bench of Benightedness!!!!!..... Shocked Oh well, so five 'and's in a row and making sense in one sentence.....

Ok, a signwriter is talking to his boss, and asks his boss if he has done a good job writing a pub sign on a pub called the George and Dragon. "But." The boss said. "You have made the gaps too long between George and and, and and and Dragon."

Ta-da!
Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Fri May 10, 2019 12:41 am

So, I found a law forum and asked the question and got the answer.

&c is an abbreviation of etcetera.

WTF, couldn't they have figured out in 1821 that "etc" has a lot more meaning than "&c" even though it does take one more letter and thus not as economical.

Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Fri May 10, 2019 12:51 am

I fly, high through the sky of the Insurmountable Indigo Mist of Invisibleness...

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Fri May 10, 2019 12:53 am

Celia Eriksson wrote:So I looked up it's legal usage and it is actually a mine field, but I cannot find the use of it meaning et cetera without the c added. Upon it's own it has some very complex meanings that I have no wish to plough through and I may well come up with it being used so, but for all intent and purpose et cetera is written &c as far as I can ascertain and recognise.

Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down