The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Proud of Scotland, my home

2 posters

Go down

Proud of Scotland, my home Empty Proud of Scotland, my home

Post  Lesley Niyori Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:52 pm

https://www.the-pool.com/news-views/latest-news/2018/39/scotland-ad-campaign-confronts-homophobes-racists?fbclid=IwAR3_ngFfOFnDsz21JORL7LnEUCLnjFgj46_VL7FFtkCAx__avp7bo_HRy9k

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Proud of Scotland, my home Empty Re: Proud of Scotland, my home

Post  MichaelaSJ Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:12 pm

From the article:
Today, Scotland is launching an ad campaign that confronts transphobia and racism.
The campaign is funded by Police Scotland and the Scottish Government under the One Scotland campaign, which aims to tackle hate crime.
This is a nice and hopefully productive effort put forth by a nation not noted for its prior history of acceptance of things not Scot. A reminder might be that Scotland is not suffering the same impact that its neighbor to the south is experiencing vis-à-vis immigration from non-white/non-christian countries.

We are living in an era a great division. I am watching the news as I type this about the large number of explosive devices mailed to people and organizations labeled mostly as liberal, and in the case of the Obamas and Eric Holder - non-white. I am sure that the person(s) who mailed these pipe bombs has what he or she believes is a harm to their pride. A false pride born out of their 'whiteness' and religion and how immigrants are 'browning' their country. A very false pride at best, since their white European relatives stole a land from an indigenous, spiritual, industrious, well organized people with brown skin many centuries in the past.

I do not understand 'pride'. Especially of a place and of people far removed from today.

My maternal heritage is from Scotland. My Scot lineage dates back to Ayrshire when, 10+ generations ago (early 1700s) my relatives came to what is now the Carolinas. Since Ayrshire is an area of farmers, it is likely my relatives farmed the area of the Carolinas. I sincerely hope that they farmed without the use of slaves brought over from West Africa.

Should I take pride in this knowledge of my Scottish relatives - no.

My paternal lineage is a bit different. My paternal grandmother is a hodgepodge of Irish immigrants, the most notable being an Elizabeth(?) Brown who settled in Oakland, CA and was a prominent early resident of Oakland. The other side of my paternal grandparents is Italian, and once again a hodgepodge of Italian immigrants from an area primarily known as Liguria.

Should I also take pride in this knowledge of my Irish/Italian relatives - no. I cannot take pride in something or someone who preceeded me - especially relatives for who I have no direct knowledge.

Pride is a funny thing:
a feeling or deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements, the achievements of those with whom one is closely associated, or from qualities or possessions that are widely admired.
I have built a business that built twenty-five houses that still stand and people live in these houses and they are well-kept and I take pride in that accomplishment. I have arranged many land acquisitions that nobody would touch because of the difficulty in figuring out the transaction. I am proud of this accomplishment and also of my fellow employees who I guided through the morasses of land acquisitions.
Once again, I took a thread an re-directed it so that I could 'chastise' someone's comments. I apologize yet I don't apologize for the poor assignment of terms thrown about with abandon of the underlying definition.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesley Niyori Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:46 pm

Well, I'm mainly proud of Scotland for taking a step in the right direction.

I just happen to be of Scottish origins.

I'm not proud to be from Ontario at the moment. We have Doug Ford and his PC government.
Too many similarities to Trump.
This morning I saw the news that Laurie Scott (the PC member in Lindsay) had her windows smashed in and a graffiti sign saying "attack workers we fight back" Because Doug and company are trying to make all of us little people pissed off (it's a minimum wage issue).

Doug hasn't targeted the LGBT crowd specifically, but most of the LGBT crowd is essentially the same crowd when it comes to economics.

I hope Laurie is scared, she should be. The second Doug pulls any of Trumps LGBT hate crap out of his bag of tricks, the shit hits the fan.

I don't think it will happen as easily here though. Doug has no federal power to screw with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms in Canada. Fortunately, I have teeth in Canada.

Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down