The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blood tests showing up a problem. But there's an irony.

3 posters

Go down

Blood tests showing up a problem. But there's an irony. Empty Blood tests showing up a problem. But there's an irony.

Post  Guest Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:06 pm

I fell into the clutches of Doctors some years ago. Thanks to aviation medicals. I'm rarely ill and generally look after myself but I was found to have hypertension and high cholesterol. On top of that every time I go to renew my prescription there's the dreaded blood tests. So last time my blood showed raised levels GGT, liver enzymes, yes I do drink too much. Really must cut back. Plus being of a certain age they do a PSA test. This time the levels were raised. So the Doctor suggested I come back for another test. So I did today, won't know the results for a week.

If they're up again it may progress to checks of the prostate for the dreaded C word. Probably unlikely. But I'm mildly worried and it has give me pause for thought. It is rather ironic though that they thing that makes my body male. The very thing I want gone could either make me sick or kill me. It really is the enemy lurking within. Testosterone is poison for people like us. Literally in this case.

Although I know it's very treatable nowadays with a good recovery rate it's certainly not a road I want to go down. But it occurred to me in a further irony the treatment often involves anti testosterone treatment even up to an orchidectomy. Both of which of course I would welcome if I was transitioning. Side effects like a growth in breast size sounds good to me. But this is definitely not something I would like in this context.

I think it's a case of be careful what you wish for. I certainly wouldn't wish for cancer. I want to hang on until my kids are grown up and living their own lives.

If it proves negative which I imagine it will. I wonder if I could ask for hormone treatment, you know for preventative purposes. Twisted Evil   Wink

Back to top Go down

Blood tests showing up a problem. But there's an irony. Empty Re: Blood tests showing up a problem. But there's an irony.

Post  Kaibeth Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:52 am

I wish I could offer you more than prayers. *cyberhug*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blood tests showing up a problem. But there's an irony. 39208

Sugar and Spice and Puppydog Tails
Kaibeth
Kaibeth

Back to top Go down

Blood tests showing up a problem. But there's an irony. Empty Re: Blood tests showing up a problem. But there's an irony.

Post  Celia Eriksson Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:12 pm

Hoping all ends well and lots of hugs across the cyberverse too!!!

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Admin

https://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:54 pm

You are staying on top of your medical issues and getting tested. One of the male traits we should ALL get rid of is not visiting doctors. Of course, you don't show up with the sniffles, but always before your sniffles turns into a deep hoarse cough (like I am having right now!).

I have always been fortunate in never having a high 'T' load and the medications I am taking now keeps my 'T' load below the chart, sans an orchiectomy.

It is somewhat ironic that for every 1,000 transwoman who have had GCS, 999 still have their prostate glands. It is simply left there not doing very much but wrapped around a bunch of plumbing that makes it difficult to remove. My girlfriends who visit gynecologists for medical reasons often have to explain (somewhat embarrassingly) to their medical insurers why a PSA test is necessary.

Remember, medical issues caught early means a more successful outcome from treatment. Be healthy, but alert, be of good spirit and let us know how things are going so we can at least stand next to (figuratively) as you resolve your fears.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:56 pm

I'm not too worried. My wife is a medical scientist very familiar with the situation. So she's reassuring. Plus even if it's something to worry about, by all accounts it's a slow burning issue and treatable

But for the most part it is a warning that I can't take health for granted anymore. That's what's sad for me. Age catching up with me. The worry I won't be around for my boys. My Mother died a few years ago aged 89. She didn't want to go, she was enjoying life, her kids her grandchildren. I feel the same. Don't want to think of my mortality.

In reality I'm sure it's not a prostate issue. I do think though that the liver thing will come up. I had one Doctor offer counselling for my drink problem. Anyone who knows me knows I'm boringly sensible about drink. Usually the only person sober enough to get the others home. But yes indeed according to the recommended limits I'm a binge drinker. I drink too much but sometimes compared to others who never see a Doctor. I'm a bloody Saint. Jeremy Clarkson once said that according to the Doctors we're all binge drinkers. He's right.

I'm no George Best in any form. I do drink too much though. You can guess why. Nothing to do with a real desire for it. Mostly to anaesthesise the dysphoria.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:14 pm

To update. Test results. Nothing to worry about as expected. Just a salutory lesson that we are mere mortals. The liver issue was raised as expected but as I'm off the drink mostly at the moment so after a few weeks it'll disappear as an issue.

I wish other issues would fade away so easily.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down